Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chainring question
OK. I admit it. It was stupid. My new road bike was really dirty. I broke it down, cleaned everything and now I can't seem to get it together. The 50/34 chainrings of the SRAM 10-speed crankset are too close together. The chain touches the large ring when it is on the smaller ring. I have tried all possible orientations of the rings and the bolts. Did I lose some spacers? Or is it possible they actually touch? Thanks
lets see a front shot pic. the big ring might go on the outside of the spyder and the small ring on the inside of the spyder. or lost some spacers. But if you do not recall spacers you probably did not have them
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
You are totally correct, PK. Big ring fits cutouts on the outside of the spider and gives the correct spacing. I need to figure out the orientation of the small ring, where its little tit goes and if the 8 mm bolt heads go inside or outside. Maybe just checking out a bike shop can help. Happy new year! Thanks JF
opposite as the one shown in the picture, the female one on the inside and the male with the hex on the outside
a lot of times the part of the ring that says how many teeth it is line up with the other rings, quite often the large ring will have a pin protruding that should line up behind the crank arm its self
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Also that notch with the lettering "34T-V1-110" near it should line up with the crank arm.
Got it. Works great. Thanks for the help.

Next question is that you can see from the photos that the big chainring is showing some wear. What are the consequences of that and at what point does one decide to change it ?

JF
When the teeth of the chainring teeth become formed like sharks tooth. Putting a new chain on at this point will not resolve an issue with skipping etc. I'm not totally sure but yours may be getting worn and will be needing replaced in the future, the big one.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Wear looks OK to me.
That's pretty much of what I was saying xerxes, just down the road say 500miles or so!?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!