Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bicycle upgrade suggestions?
Hi,

I am a fairly new user here, have been participating in the tires forum a bit, but I am considering a bicycle upgrade and I am looking for suggestions. Here's what I have used and my routine so far:

I have a 26" Roadmaster Mt. Fury. I initially purchased it 10 years ago and it sat until last year when I decided to try and start using it for weight loss and conditioning purposes. After 8 months of riding, I had lost close to 60 lbs, and felt like I was in pretty good shape. I usually ride in the lowest highest gear setting and keep it that way. 90 miles or less a week. This bike is a mountain bike, but I road it on the roads and it was a challenge because of the frame's heaviness and the knobby tires. These characteristics made riding, especially pedalling, a lot more difficult, but over time as I lost weight, riding became easier and now it's not much trouble.

Over the months, the sprocket areas have become quite rusted, along with the chain, and the gear shifter became inoperable. I also have only one set of brakes and they're not in the greatest shape. Granted I can't go very fast on this heavy monster, averaging about 12 mph. I'm also on my 3rd set of tires. Because of the wear I'm seeing over a fairly short period of time, I am considering an upgrade to a better bicycle and I don't want to spend a fortune. My goals are that I'd like to basically keep the mountain type of bike for the roads, but have less physical wear and tare and better lasting tires.

This bike was $74 new. If possible, I'd like to stay within a $250-350 range for an upgrade. Finding something on sale at a higher price reduced to this range would be ideal also.

What does the group recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Josephine
I try to find even higher priced bikes that are used but hardly ridden or well maintained for a low price.Take your time and look, they are out there and I think you get more for your money that way if you know what to look for.
If you use a search engine for craigslist such as Zoomthelist help makes quick work for searching ,plus if you do not mind traveling a bit it can broaden the amount to choose from. here is a link to what I use to search all over the country with
http://zoomthelist.com/

for comparing specs and prices use a site like Bikepedia to help you

when someone tells me this is the bike i would like to have I can usually find it this way, it just takes a little more sometimes to deal out of town on craigslist, it is not exactly like ebay. But i have had craigslist bikes come from as far as the state of mass. and i live in IL.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hi Josephine;

Your price range is difficult.

Like PK, for a bike for my self; I would go used - my newest bike is our 1994 T50 tandem.... Like PK, I build bikes up from bare frames; unlike PK, mine are mis-mash of components that suit my riding style - for example all of my bikes have fenders.

For a new MTB:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/3ht_new_xii.htm
this one is hard to beat.
but also consider something like this:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/oxford.htm

BD (bikesdirect) bikes require some tune up - like greasing bearings, tightening wheel bearing cones, truing wheels, cables etc.

Tire life - knobbies have very short life on pavement. Much of that effort you are experiencing is going into wearing out the tires - the noise they make is an indication of wear. (I am a Mechanical Design Engineer).

I especially like Cr-Mo (steel alloy) frames; dis-like suspension; don't understand why anyone would want disc brakes on road bike; prefer slightly wider tires (32-40 mm)
Nigel
[quote='Josephine' pid='25239' dateline='1353798972']
Hi,

After 8 months of riding, I had lost close to 60 lbs, and felt like I was in pretty good shape. I usually ride in the lowest highest gear setting and keep it that way. 90 miles or less a week. This bike is a mountain bike, but I road it on the roads and it was a challenge because of the frame's heaviness and the knobby tires. These characteristics made riding, especially pedalling, a lot more difficult, but over time as I lost weight, riding became easier and now it's not much trouble...
...Granted I can't go very fast on this heavy monster, averaging about 12 mph. I'm also on my 3rd set of tires...
...My goals are that I'd like to basically keep the mountain type of bike for the roads, but have less physical wear and tare and better lasting tires.

Josephine, you are amazing girl! 90 miles or less in a week, that's awesome. Loss of 60 pounds, phenomenal. On your third set of tires, impressive. 12 mph on the road on a Mtb, are you serious? Let's go riding, I need a pacer! BTW you can get tires to fit Mtb wheelsets that have a smoother tread, less resistance, faster riding...you probably already know that of course.

Cruise craigslist, use the link given above by painkiller. It is great. Gives you an idea of how markets are different. Example, in Seattle/Portland the prices are way higher than Spokane, not sure maybe larger group of more knowledgeable people. The point is, cruise craigslist every day and start noticing the bikes that draw your eye. Then go to the internet and type in "so and so bike, such and such year, review" and then read what people wrote about this bike.

It will start to inform your opinions. Bike geeks (nerds, gearheads, enthusiasts, aficionados) are very opinionated about the smallest of details that to the usual person means nothing. SO don't take the reviews too seriously on minor points. But realize that quality bicycles contain a wealth of minor details that add up to a huge difference in reliability, the feel of the ride, and let's face it, the self-defined power and prestige that you can experience by owning and riding a fine bicycle.

Your post is older but maybe you have not connected with the right bike yet. The way you wrote above, you will wear out several bikes before you are done. While getting even more fit and fabulous, check out craigslist. You will love the learning experience.

Hope to meet you on the road; we have lots in common already! Allez! PM me if you want to chat further.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Last Post: Brongo

03-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Surly LHT

02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Last Post: jr14