Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Front Derailleur Wiring Problem
Hello,

Wonder if someone can help. I had a Diamond Back Outlook S. I'm having problems sorting out the front derailleur shifting gears.

It has a Shimano 050 front mech and Shimano quick fire gears. When I've wired the cable up and try to shirt gears up the 2nd ring kind of wants to go into gear but when I press the gear shifter again to move it into the biggest ring the shifter is really hard to push..

Anyone have any ideas where I might of gone wrong? Have I wired the mech itself wrong? Does anyone one know where I can see how the front mech is wired up

Thanks Mark
1. release the cable from the FD.
2. make sure the FD can move to where it should go.
3. if not, adjust the H limit screw.
4. if okay, take a look at Shimano Techdocs for proper routing.
Nigel
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've loosened everything off and the front derailleur can move freely back and forth to where it should be able to go.

Do you know where I could find the techdocs for the proper routing?

Regards

Mark
(11-05-2012, 06:18 AM)MARK170881 Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've loosened everything off and the front derailleur can move freely back and forth to where it should be able to go.

Do you know where I could find the techdocs for the proper routing?

Regards

Mark
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Tourney/FrontDriveSystem/SI_6DK0B/SI_6DK0A/SI_6DK0B_En_v1_m56577569830607106.pdf
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
first it needs cleaned real good
disconnect cable and hold the cable in your hand with tension
now work your shifter, does it shift up and down now freely?
If so, replace your crappy cable and housing
set your Low limit screw. with rear derailluer on the biggest cog and front on smallest of course
set the low limit up front about 1mm from chain is a good starting point
your cable routing is correct for top pull, connect new cable
if you have barrel adjusters up on the shifter,turn all in then backout about three turns then connect cable.
it is common to have to fiddle a couple times to dial in
you can also backout you front high limit and adjust in after you dial in the hits
you may not always hit all gears without rubbing but should be set to do it on full crossover, I feel most can be set to do all gears from middle ring in front
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hi, thanks for all the replies. Managed to get it wired up after a new gear cable and a really good clean. Gears all seem to be working ok now. The perils of buying a bike second hand Big Grin
For reference you may want to take pictures of how it is wired up. You are welcome to post a few pictures of your bike, and the ones of how the cables are ran here.... http://forums.bikeride.com/forum-36.html . Reason we do this is to show off our bike.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...