Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano parts timeline
I like to throw out these Shimano links once in awhile to help others know what they have, what goes with what, the years they were used and so on. Fairly complete and accurate from my memory at least and a big help to those wanting to freshen up the old steeds

http://datenbanken.freepage.de/traut/SHIMANO.html
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
You know I wanted to reply to this but I think I forgot lol. Thanks very much Bob! Think I found my groupset for the GT?? Listed as M5500?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
you are correct Bill, your shifters however are the next generation newer than your derailluers and the hubs would have been parallax design along with the beginning of the 8spd drivetrain era
The Mombat site has really nice and clear pictures of the available components to compare to
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Glad these sites are around for reference. When I was trying to get information on older product from shimano they advised me that they purge records after a certain period of time. Maybe if we all could donate some stuff (information) to them it would be that much more valuable? To bad they weren't like a Wikipedia of bike parts, store information on everything!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
PK. Good links that I have marked long ago! Datenbanken in particular - I printed that one out and put it in a binder and reference it often. Some of us 'old' (?) guys can nail a year to a STX-RC equipped rig but...
Time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin' into the future. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
you got that right Rob, Time keeps slipping faster every year. I will be 52 in December. Where have the years gone my friend. I try to keep a mild pace with new stuff, But I will never forget the vintage stuff because thats pretty much all I am immersed in. Bikes for me last forever with a little nudge here and there. In the next couple years I will freshen up the hooKoo, the gary fisher Gemini tandem, The Amp full suspension, and the IBOC Comp, The 93 rockhopper comp will be done this week and is a keeper. the crack and fail turned out to be a keeper too. ha just cannot let go. People are starting to call me the Jay Leno of vintage Mtbs! the only problem is I am feeling much more vintage than my bikes at this stage in life. The cool thing is that certain younger family members have their name on certain bikes that I have but may not realize that I am listening and will give them all away when I pass to the great downhill in the sky ! Not much of a Legacy but better than nuttin Smile
Bob. Dammit. Never give up. Eat M&Ms and Cheerios and stop sliding elbows on concrete. You might see 60.
(10-25-2012, 11:42 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Bob. Dammit. Never give up. Eat M&Ms and Cheerios and stop sliding elbows on concrete. You might see 60.

Not to worry, I ain't given up yet. I always said my final demise will be loosing control of a 180 in a parking deck slamming and flipping over the wall and dropping 6 stories to my fate at 3 in morning. I will make a footnote to bequeath that bicycle to you, You have my word
I realize there are better ways to exfoliate my skin, but way to boring
LMAO!!!! Sheese I thought it would riding the edge of the barrier doing back flips on a parking deck on a unicycle Bob. Then you could be eating M&M's in one hand and cheerios out of the other.
funny stuff Bill, I am good but ain't that good!
(10-26-2012, 09:45 AM)painkiller Wrote:  funny stuff Bill, I am good but ain't that good!
But, you know big words like 'exfoliate' and you ride at 3 am so, you must be pretty good. Just not pretty doing it?? I got lost there.
Bill does that to me all the time.
Its either one of two reasons I lose you Rob.... 1. One of us is losing their mind from old age (probably me) 2. I just babel too much Big Grin .
maybe we should start a Geriatric Biking association then everything would be normal again, or at least up to standard if you will
That would be awesome then we could document our timeline in a fashionable manner with in reasonable thought, lmao Wink.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Bill

04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET