Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

ID of brake pads
Can anyone ID what these kind of brake pads are called and specifically a source of where they could be obtained?

[broken image link]
Why is it that they make adult bikes that'll generally work for 5'9" or above, yet when you pedal these same bikes they only work for someone who is 5'4" or so?
Possibly Fibrax?
These are "old school" type and can be upgraded with more modern ones.
See:- http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/cycle_brakes/cycle_brakes_calipers.asp?cat=brake_blocks
(about 1/2 way down)

Ride hard or ride home alone!
Quote:These are "old school" type and can be upgraded with more modern ones.
That's probably the big question, truthfully. Which modern brake pads can be used? I asked the first question because I couldn't find any brake pads exactly like that (metal backed, screw post, with beveled breaking surface) through any of my sources, didn't know what they would be called, and couldn't find anything similar looking.
Also, I tried a pair of road caliper pads on this bike and it tore up one of the pads and bent one of the calipers upon the first application of those brakes. So I'm a bit wary of just randomly trying things until I know they will work.

Why is it that they make adult bikes that'll generally work for 5'9" or above, yet when you pedal these same bikes they only work for someone who is 5'4" or so?
Looking at the photo I would say that you can bend (carefully) the calipers, to re-align the pads square to the rim.
Personally i would consider something like this:-
http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product2.asp?product_id=308&pname=RoadStop%20BBS-01
Obviously you would have to source a shop in your area / country.<br />
These type of pads are also made by Shimano etc.<br />
Yes they have "socket" screws for fitting but an extra washer can be fited if they don't clamp up tight.
These would probably be a direct replacement for yours:-
http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product2.asp?product_id=1039&pname=ASH292%20-%20Weinmann-Raleigh%20Pattern%20Pad
Doing a Google search may bring a supplier near you?

<blockquote>
Looking at the photo I would say that you can bend (carefully) the calipers, to re-align the pads square to the rim.
</blockquote>
Actually they were made pretty well in terms of the material involved - it was a major pain to get the brake arm back to where it was. Which makes it even more jaw-dropping that what happened happened with the road brake caliper pads.
<blockquote>
first link
</blockquote>
A brake pad like this one was what I tried on this bike that tore itself up and bent the brake caliper.
<blockquote>
second link
</blockquote>
This one is probably closest so far to what I'm looking for, and I have found both online. The problem (again) is that beveled surface (in other words, the braking surface is at an angle compared to the back of the brake pad) - the design seems to call for that in these brakes, and it was a bit of a trick to get those flat surface road pads to meet the rim flatly. It seems for what I have found, though, this one is closer - and probably would be closer than option #1.
Finding a supplier won't be a problem. The problem is finding the proper brake pad for this application that will work properly but also won't cause a repeat of the episode I described (or worse). Perhaps something similar to the second will do the trick - maybe the first option didn't work because there was too much braking surface?

Only thoughts =<br />
The photo of the rim gives the impression that there is only a shallow side wall?<br />
Is there a chance that the brake block, that caused the problem, contacted the tyre or slipped under the rim. (hitting the spokes)? Did it come loose and misaligned?<br />
I have never seen a brake block grab and disintergrate but obviously I can imagine you being nervous about getting it right.

I realize a different view of the brake pad might help to ID them. I took one of them off the bike that was pictured:
[Link Broken]

These pads will work, and are most likely the same pads that you have on your bike, just new and not worn to the angled surface like yours. Most likely, your rims caused the pads to wear from flat to angled like they are now.
$25 for a card with 20 pairs. you can get them from any shop with no problem, and you only need to buy a set or two from them.
Okay, I finally figured out what it is that's on the bike right now.
They seem to be the Dia Compe 76KX.
http://www.a1bikeparts.com/images/P/31618585.jpg
It's hard to see from the stock photos, but that is indeed an angled surface and was never flat when new. It also seems to be sold only in a bulk pad (I don't need 50) and doesn't seem to be too widely available.
It seems like I can just get some flat brake pads and file them down if I can't find a good source for them when the time comes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

09-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Aab

08-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Painkiller