Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cheap but good tyre to stock up on?
Hi all, I stock up on pretty much everything from grease to chains however I've yet to get round to sourcing a good quality tyre at a low price.

The tyre must be 26" and inflate to a high pressure as the bike is used for fast urban commuting.

I usually use Specialized Borough CX 700x32 however these are £50 a pair and so out of the question for bulk buying/stocking up.

Any suggestions much appreciated!
Unless you're wearing out your tyres at a fairly rapid rate, I wouldn't sock up on tyres because they deteriorate over time even when not used. Like fruit and vegetables, best bought fresh. Smile
(08-10-2012, 05:34 AM)d3v Wrote:  The tyre must be 26" and inflate to a high pressure as the bike is used for fast urban commuting.

I usually use Specialized Borough CX 700x32 ...

The different sizes you mention confuses me. In any case, Michelin City Tires might work, they offer 26x1.85 (which I use on my refurbished 1987 Miyata Trail Runner converted to hauler, no issues) as well as 700x32. They have good online reviews, been on sale all year here for around USD $19.99-$23.49. It might be a good idea to have a spare pair around for a while, but I would absolutely not stock up on tires beyond that...if any given tire turns out to be crap, why buy more of them?

Bicycle tires seem to a very personal and situational issue.
(08-10-2012, 02:54 PM)Tim M Wrote:  
(08-10-2012, 05:34 AM)d3v Wrote:  The tyre must be 26" and inflate to a high pressure as the bike is used for fast urban commuting.

The different sizes you mention confuses me. In any case, Michelin City Tires might work, they offer 26x1.85 (which I use on my refurbished 1987 Miyata Trail Runner converted to hauler, no issues) as well as 700x32. They have good online reviews, been on sale all year here for around USD $19.99-$23.49. It might be a good idea to have a spare pair around for a while, but I would absolutely not stock up on tires beyond that...if any given tire turns out to be crap, why buy more of them?

Hey they confuse me no end, too. About the only thing I know about tire sizing is that my bike takes 26" which equates to 700mm in metric, hence the 700. Will take a look at the Michelin city tyres now.

@exeres thanks for making me aware of that, maybe I won't be stocking up on them after all, however wouldn't the shop have them on the shelf/in stock room for many months, maybe even years for smaller shops? What is the shelf life of a tire before the material starts to degrade? I really do want to get a good price and stock up as I don't feel at ease unless I have spares of everything for my bike, like a nagging feeling that won't go away!
(08-10-2012, 03:08 PM)d3v Wrote:  
(08-10-2012, 02:54 PM)Tim M Wrote:  

Hey they confuse me no end, too. About the only thing I know about tire sizing is that my bike takes 26" which equates to 700mm in metric, hence the 700. Will take a look at the Michelin city tyres now.

I know and understand the industry's tire size confusion. So I am on alert for that confusion. You can't take metric sizes and mathematically convert to English or the way around and expect a satisfactory result in application when it comes to bike tires. It's strange and something to be aware of. I just didn't know which size you are working with.

more:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/size_markings

Anyway, I wouldn't keep more than a spare pair of good ones around.
Yep these Michelin City tyres look like the best deal at £20 a pair. One question though why are some called "reflex"??
The models called "reflex" have a reflective sidewall.

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

I strongly recommend against Michelin City tires - worst bicycle tires that I ever had; massive tread seperation in only a couple hundred miles.

For a fast ISO559 tire, look at Kenda's 26 x 1.25 and 26 x 1.50 100 psi tires.

For a smooth and fast commuter tire in ISO622 (aka 700c); look at Kenda's Kwest tires

I also like Panaracer - have about 5,000 miles on a pair of made by Panaracer Terry branded 28-571 tires, which look almost new.

Vittoria makes a 47-559 Kevlar belted, steel wire bead tire that is branded by Bell, which Wal-mart sells which very long last, smooth riding and when inflated to 70psi (sidewall says 65psi max) is very easy rolling. I have put several thousand miles on a pair of these (they replaced the awful Michelin City tires).

Specialized Armadillo - expensive and heavy; but last forever if you keep them properly inflated; I have a 32-630; says something like 105 psi MIN, 120 psi MAX - keep them on the high side. They fail if you run them at lower pressures, the tires come apart internally. I believe that the high pressure keeps the tire internals solidly pressed agains the belts, and lower pressure allows them to move around, literally ripping apart the tire from the inside out. Everyone I have talked to that has had problems with Armadillos was running them at lower pressures.
Nigel
So does he need 559 tires? (Excuse me, tyres?)
(08-11-2012, 01:20 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  So does he need 559 tires? (Excuse me, tyres?)

who knows? the OP did not make it clear as to which tyres were on which bike, only stated that one of his bikes had 32-622 tyres.
Nigel
I have a confession to make and that is that I've actually been riding Michelin City Protek Plus 700 x 32C for the past 7 months and honestly they are absolutely brilliant and still going strong and if I had to average out my mileage per day it would be 2-3, so big difference of experience there, nfmisso!!
I picked them up from ebay as a one off purchase, so never bothered to check their full retail price out before asking this question here! At £24 a pair there too expensive for bulk buying, would need a tire that can be had for under £15 a pair ideally.

nfmisso interesting suggestion regarding the Kenda as I have always seen Kenda as a budget brand that are to be avoided, so I am very surprised you are suggesting them! HERE I can get a pair of them for just shy of £19, however are these the exact tires you are suggesting? I know they are slightly wider than my current tires however I actually prefer a slightly wider tire and find there are zero penalties for having such.

As for the Vittoria's we don't have a good selection available here in the UK, but the specialized armadillo's and available in different types. Do you mean the "vanilla" armadillo or the elite, ect? I certainly believe in buying hardwearing kit so I think I might go with these armadillo's and buy a spare set and maybe a couple of sets of michelin city's or these Kendas if I can be convinced that they are decent quality!

Also just a general question on bicycle tires. Are the foldable tires meant for lightweight use and that proper durable tires can only be shipped in their natural circular shape? Also what is a wire bead, ect?

Also could anyone let me know what the difference/s are between the various variants of the Michelin City tire listed here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26232&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

p.s are these the armadillo's you recommend? http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b3s122p9094&rs=gb&vid=30469
The Armadillo I have is a 32-630 (27 x 1¼). It is REALLY heavy, has thousands of miles on it, and the tread has barely any wear. It looks like the one in the picture in your link, except the size is different.

I really like the Kenda Kwest K193 tires we have on our tandem - they would probably fit your bike. They are 35-622.

Our review on Amazon:
"We put these tires on our new "old" tandem (1994 Trek) They are a tall tire, with soft side walls and very hard tread. They roll very well, and are somewhat cushy at the same time. We're a 500lbs team, these tires work well for us, and the price can't be beat. The tires are 1 5/8" (42mm) tall, but only 1 3/8" (35mm) wide - make sure that you have the clearance for the taller tire."
http://www.amazon.com/700x35-Kwest-Black-Cross-Bicycle/dp/B001C6BJK6/ref=sr_1_17?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1344722073&sr=1-17&keywords=kenda+kwest+700

We run them at 100psi. I had purchase them initially as something very inexpensive to get into tandeming with. The bike had 23-622 tires on it when we got - the rims were much wider than the tires. I only rode it a hundred feet solo that way. The OEM tires were 38-622. My original plan was to replace them with Armadillos if everything worked out with tandeming. Now, I am planning on replacing the Armdillo I have with a Kenda when (if) it wears out. The Kendas are much lighter and just as durable. We run thorn resistant tubes and Stop Flats 2 tire liners. I am allergic to punctures Smile

As Xerxes noted do NOT buy tires until you are ready for them. The Armadillos or Kendas kept properly inflated (high end of spec, or higher) will last 5K miles or more.
Nigel
(08-10-2012, 11:35 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I strongly recommend against Michelin City tires - worst bicycle tires that I ever had; massive tread seperation in only a couple hundred miles.

For a fast ISO559 tire, look at Kenda's 26 x 1.25 and 26 x 1.50 100 psi tires.

For a smooth and fast commuter tire in ISO622 (aka 700c); look at Kenda's Kwest tires

I also like Panaracer - have about 5,000 miles on a pair of made by Panaracer Terry branded 28-571 tires, which look almost new.

Vittoria makes a 47-559 Kevlar belted, steel wire bead tire that is branded by Bell, which Wal-mart sells which very long last, smooth riding and when inflated to 70psi (sidewall says 65psi max) is very easy rolling. I have put several thousand miles on a pair of these (they replaced the awful Michelin City tires).

Specialized Armadillo - expensive and heavy; but last forever if you keep them properly inflated; I have a 32-630; says something like 105 psi MIN, 120 psi MAX - keep them on the high side. They fail if you run them at lower pressures, the tires come apart internally. I believe that the high pressure keeps the tire internals solidly pressed agains the belts, and lower pressure allows them to move around, literally ripping apart the tire from the inside out. Everyone I have talked to that has had problems with Armadillos was running them at lower pressures.

Great info on tires, nfmisso but can I pick your knowledge a little deeper?
I had two flats on one 5 mile ride on my rear tire on my Trek Y22, old (Specialized?) nimbus 26 x 1.50 near slick, tread looks like kenda kwick roller. What is your opinion on increasing to a 26 x 1.75 or would you stick with the 1.50, and what brands & models? I use the Y22 95% on pavement, 5% limestone screening paths and like the slick tread style. I have my Trek Y5 set up with 26 x 1.95 Kenda Pathfinders, 5/8" slick center w/ agressive knobby toward the side wall for the limestone screening trails and ocaissional dry dirt singletrack. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks,

Ride on, keep on riding

(08-11-2012, 08:58 PM)barefooter Wrote:  Great info on tires, nfmisso but can I pick your knowledge a little deeper?
I had two flats on one 5 mile ride on my rear tire on my Trek Y22, old (Specialized?) nimbus 26 x 1.50 near slick, tread looks like kenda kwick roller. What is your opinion on increasing to a 26 x 1.75 or would you stick with the 1.50, and what brands & models? I use the Y22 95% on pavement, 5% limestone screening paths and like the slick tread style. I have my Trek Y5 set up with 26 x 1.95 Kenda Pathfinders, 5/8" slick center w/ agressive knobby toward the side wall for the limestone screening trails and ocaissional dry dirt singletrack. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks,

If tires you have are provide the traction you need on the trails - stick with them; add Stop Flats 2 liners and thorn resistant tubes for the flat protection.

I have my GT set up for similar to what you use your Y22 for; I have a 47-559 (26x1.75) Vittoria (Bell branded at Wal-mart) on the front that has some tread for gravel/crushed rock steering/braking and a 40-559 (26x1.5) 100 psi Kenda on the back.

Sheldon recommended wider knobbier softer tire on front; so worth a shot.
Nigel
(08-11-2012, 09:34 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(08-11-2012, 08:58 PM)barefooter Wrote:  Great info on tires, nfmisso but can I pick your knowledge a little deeper?

If tires you have are provide the traction you need on the trails - stick with them; add Stop Flats 2 liners and thorn resistant tubes for the flat protection.

I have my GT set up for similar to what you use your Y22 for; I have a 47-559 (26x1.75) Vittoria (Bell branded at Wal-mart) on the front that has some tread for gravel/crushed rock steering/braking and a 40-559 (26x1.5) 100 psi Kenda on the back.

Thanks for your input nfmisso. Based on your suggestions & my own thinking, I just ordered a pair of 26 x 1.60 Geax Street Runners from Art's Cyclery ($40.98 w/shipping for the pair!). My thinking was that the 1.50s were great on pavement, but a little to narrow on the limestone paths. The Millenium Trail in Lake County, Il is mostly paved with some short sections of limestone screenings. When I would get to the bottom of a hill there was always some washout ruts that had filled with loose screenings, causing me some traction (uphill - no biggie) or handling (downhill -VERY scary on the steep hills). I figured that a wider tire with lower pressure would help out on the limestone, but slow me down on pavement. I think the 26 x 1.60 tires might a perfect compromise for me.
I will post an update on what I think of them after I ride on them for a while.
Thanks alot for your input, it was very helpful!

Ride on, keep on riding

(08-11-2012, 10:54 PM)barefooter Wrote:  
(08-11-2012, 09:34 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  

Thanks for your input nfmisso. Based on your suggestions & my own thinking, I just ordered a pair of 26 x 1.60 Geax Street Runners from Art's Cyclery ($40.98 w/shipping for the pair!). My thinking was that the 1.50s were great on pavement, but a little to narrow on the limestone paths. The Millenium Trail in Lake County, Il is mostly paved with some short sections of limestone screenings. When I would get to the bottom of a hill there was always some washout ruts that had filled with loose screenings, causing me some traction (uphill - no biggie) or handling (downhill -VERY scary on the steep hills). I figured that a wider tire with lower pressure would help out on the limestone, but slow me down on pavement. I think the 26 x 1.60 tires might a perfect compromise for me.
I will post an update on what I think of them after I ride on them for a while.
Thanks alot for your input, it was very helpful!

I have about put about 200 miles on the Geax 26 x 1.60 Street Runners (by Vitorria) running them at Max 75 psi. So far, I am very happy with them. The rubber compound seems to be a little softer than my old Nimbus tires, but they were really old and probably dried out. Handling seems to be better in corners on pavement and limestone screenings. But the best thing is that my average speed has jumped up about 1.8 mph on my three favorite routes. Now I'll see how long they last.

Ride on, keep on riding

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Far Away

02-18-2013, 02:23 AM