Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

"Are you a bike picker"?
Yeh I like the Hopper, being old fashioned I think bike frames should be triangular. Although I rode on a Connondale X MB and that rode better than MY 1991 Schwinn High Plains, aluminum Paramount design..

Hey maybe Nigel can use the grip shifters. He knows how to keep them working. :-)
Never Give Up!!!
the Cannondale is classic STX equip, loose rear derailluer with the stretchie noodle attached to improve
shifting..Ha!Gripshift enhancer. Gotta do something with the rockopper parts.the ride of the DirectDrive tubing is pretty cool on those old Specialized, Love the "Twang"
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-08-2012, 08:50 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Grabbed another project But paid to much. Kinda sympathy purchase. thank god I some odds and ends. A little weathered but no chain slap, wheels are true and no flat spots. just needs a tear down , polish and some tlc. Dunno about where you guys are from but Cannondales seem to sell around here. I picked up a m400 the other day @ around 7:30 in the morning started to polish it and sold it by 5:oo that same evening, Should have asked more.this bike here the asking price was $250 I told him I buy bikes to refurb and sell. Whats your bottom $ I asked. He replied $190. I said more than I want to spend at the moment he just posted the ad so I said let it ride a day or so, I think someone may give you that. so he asks what I am thinking, and I say around $100. he says $125 ok and I am like ok.
It will be a challenge to make $100 on this one, but someone will have a nice ride when its done for sure.
just an update on the Cannondale, shucked the Gripshifters, bars,canti's,BB, derailluers..
slapped on a nice Tompson Elite stem, some xt derailluers, and DeoreII top mount thumbies and rolled with some Avid single digit 5 v-brakes, Shimano Levers, Chain and rear cluster and Bottom bracket. All quite an upgrade from stock. I may have to keep this one for awhile. she is coming out to be a real beauty. here some pics
I know, spend less on bikes and spend more on a better cameraSmile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Bob! Schweet job on the Crack'n'fail... I mean Cannondale. Wink
Think you might wanna trim that RD cable??
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(09-06-2012, 08:38 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Bob! Schweet job on the Crack'n'fail... I mean Cannondale. Wink
Think you might wanna trim that RD cable??

No, you had it right, crack'n fail ! not everybody knows so keep it on the down low. still in the works, I will cut no cable before its time. platform pedals, new tubes and tires will finish her off.
originally I was going to use the Lx components off the Rockhopper Comp. but they cleaned up so nice i decided to use the Xt derailluers I found under My pillow case instead. I did swap off the lx shifters for some brand new old stock Xt rapidfire plus which I still may go with some Xt thumbies. I will update the Rockhopper soon. You will like that one too. I had to ask myself just what nice little touches would robar do, and I think I hit the nail on the head. Wait and see
Anticipa-a-shun, it's making me wait...
You need some Red anodized bits on there, brother! I would dress her up like a (period-correct, of course) Christmas tree! Maybe some KORE skewers and a Salsa Lip-Lock seatpost binder and ano nipples in Red. And red, flashing LED, schraeder valve caps on the new rubber set. YES!
Gotta say that is one fine specimen of a bike!!! Your doing a great job with it, hmm no advice other then let me be the test pilot :p lol.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(09-07-2012, 03:42 PM)Bill Wrote:  Gotta say that is one fine specimen of a bike!!! Your doing a great job with it, hmm no advice other then let me be the test pilot :p lol.

Anytime you want to ride Bill. waiting on a couple parts for my Gt palomar and i will have an update on that for you. It gets the parts off my old trek
730 I had stashed in box. Got to get it finished as i have a couple people that want a good user ready to buy it up as soon as it gets done.
Hey there ya go. Probably under your bed huh? Lol. Serious though nice clean ride!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Does "Tooth Fairy" take on a new meaning in this situation? Read back 4 posts and don't blame me! I saw it coming and tried to warn ya! Wink
Hmmm would the lost tooth be from the chainring or the gear cluster lmao???
thats some funny stuff guys. I am glad i help bring some joy to other peoples lives. Smile
(09-09-2012, 10:30 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hmmm would the lost tooth be from the chainring or the gear cluster lmao???
After seeing PK's video, I'm not certain that he has any teeth left, Bill. I think that he was one of those kids that could 'tear up an anvil'. Wink
Oh no ! there you go again Robar, I see i need one of those Men in black special memory eraser thingies.
hey maybe I should post it on the funniest/dumpest bike moments post. I think I misplaced it so I guess i would leave the final beheading to you Rob.
Now poor Bill will go to his grave wanting to see that video, or will he? Smile
Bob. Dude! You won't believe what rolled through the entrance to the Service Dept this morning. An Alien. A Nishiki Alien to be exact.
Black with neon green decals. Sporting a black Rock Shox fork with Hot Pink decals! Smile What does that mean to you? Wink First issue of Rock Shox!?? Some MTB history?
This baby is a tall frame, maybe 20", and has the Cunningham signature decal and ALL original components and I am drooling in my beer! A (guessing) 60 year old gentleman asked me to put it back into 'riding condition' because of doctors orders. I quoted him $35 Labor just so I could touch it. It is totally Pristine except for dry-rotted wiper boots on the fork. I'll have to get some pics up if for no other reason than to document this specimen in the wild.
Pics to come soon. I am so stoked!
That would be awesome! looking forward to those picks. I wish the one I picked was a bit bigger, more original components,and the original Rockshox on it. The Manitou Pro shock on mine was in great shape but had top-out knock from hell and did not really grab me. I know it will break your heart but I had to let her go, It broke my heart a bit also but It would have cost me over grand to sweeten back to original. I was able to quadruple my invest even after removing a couple parts to do the light green Cannondale.The Cannondale got a lot of sweet upgrades with some pretty sweet vintage parts. I paid $125 for it dumped a bit into her and sold it $500. Not bad for finely tuned 94' Cannondale F400. The profit margin may not always be more by doing all the upgrades and work but I get to do what I love, ride some sweet bikes for a bit, and the buyer gets some of the nicest used bikes one could hope to find ride ready.
Wow sounds like a definite machine of its time and very rare these days! Well I'm anxious to see some pics too! Wink.
Here you go, Bob! Smile
[Image: P1060332_zpsd66d2b44.jpg]
Has had the saddle swapped and a Girvin Flex Stem added. Everything else appears original.
[Image: P1060334_zpsd51344dc.jpg]

And HERE is a piece of MTB History. The fork that started all the craziness we have today. The RS1. Smile
[Image: P1060333_zpsde5baf33.jpg]

You likey? The Ariel behind the Alien went in the stand this afternoon. The shifters on the Alien are gummed up beyond belief!
Pretty cool Rob! what year is it? looks to be about a 90' I would say. The ariels are neat too, slender and sleek. thanks for posting some pics. I thought you left town. I kept looking on milk cartons for you Smile
No, Bob. You won't find my pic on a milk carton. Maybe on a case of Coors Lite. Thanks for worrying about me! Wink
The Pinky was the RS-1 and only made in 1990 and '91. This is the fork that Greg (HB) Herbold rode to his first MTB Nationals Downhill Event victory at, IIRC, Big Bear, CA. That was way long ago, dude, fer sure!

I think only about 1000 of these were ever produced outside of RS Sponsored riders equipment so, that's what got me so excited! It's a rare bird in great shape for its age. First that I have seen 'in the wild' in over 20 years in this business.
My customer bought the bikes off of ePay and has no clue what he has - just likes the colors and his Doc told him to exercise or die at 62. Sad