Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Upgrading Wheels
Hello,

I’ve decided to get better wheels for my bike and I’ve gone and ordered a pair of Shimano free-hub compatable Campagnolo Zonda’s. I'm upgrading from Ritchey Pro's.

I have done about 2500 – 3000 miles on my current drivetrain. I would like to buy a new Shimano cassette to go on the new rear wheel.

My question is would you advise using a new rear cassette with a chain and front sprockets that have done about 2500 – 3000 miles?

Thanks,

Nevica
If you like the bike enough to put new wheels on i would replace the chain too. common practice would negate this. However you could try it out and see how the bike acts and go from there. your front rings should be okay but depends on ride style and terrain. If you think your cluster is worn and have used the chain the same amount of time it should be replaced
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Next question is:

How long does a chain, cassette and front sprockets last if looked after properly. Mine have been riddden fairly hard in sportives, training etc. but well looked after.

Nevica
The answer is: it depends. Check for chain wear regularly, wither with the appropriate tool (Rohloff Caliber) or with a ruler (see tutorial on this site, basically check length over 12 full links, should be not more than 1/16 (I think) over a foot) trick is that a link is 1", when the chain wears it's actually the links (pins, plates, bushings) wearing and thus "lengthening" the chain. Not really well measurable over 1 link, but when you look at 12 of them it becomes apparent.

Possibly Related Threads...