Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Big Problem ! I think
Yesterday while riding in cold and snowy weather by bike stopped making forward motion and the pedals were just turning.
Today I got my bike back from where I had to lock it up and take the bus and I can see now that the rear hub assembly or maybe what you might call the axle is turning but the rear tire is not getting caught and pushed forward.
And if I turn the pedals backward they do not just go easy like before but are now turning the chain.
I have not searched too much on the web yet on this as want to see what ya all think is the problem.
Thanks for any advice.
Oscar
Hi OSCAR,
Did you take it into the garage and let it warm up a little like you said you were going to from this post... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3824.html .

How many speeds does your bike have? What is the name brand and model? Can you take a picture of the pedal area, chain, and "axle" area ?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I can not take a picture. Sorry.
It is a 21 speed Schwinn . Shimano shifters.
Yes it is in garage and is around 40 degrees in there. Not Warm but better than outside. Still doing the problem.
Hi OSCAR,
If it doesn't start working again when it gets warmer, it is probably a bad freewheel or freehub. I don't know if 40 dgrees is going to be enough to loosen up the cold lube. Can you get it warmer? It's worth a try. If you don't have the tools for removing a freewheel or cassette/freehub, you will have to take it to a bike shop.

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

Yes that is correct, sorry I did not get back to you sooner.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks everyone for the great advice.
I am going to bring it in the house for awhile and see what happens.
Bike is 6 months old so should be under warranty if needs fix.
Thanks again, Will post the results ASAP.
Thanks Again,
Oscar
6mos??? Wow one would figure it should run great for atleast 1yr. Any rate your welcome.
Pedals would normally always move the chain when pedaling backwards unless your bicycle has the old Shimano front freewheeling system. Your bicycle is too new for that.

If this is the usual cassette or freewheel at the rear wheel, then if the chain goes forward and the wheel doesn't turn, the freewheel or cassette needs to be replaced. Cassette bodies can be transplanted without replacing the wheel, and so can freewheels, see http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html and http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

(01-14-2012, 11:34 PM)OSCAR Wrote:  Yesterday while riding in cold and snowy weather by bike stopped making forward motion and the pedals were just turning.
Today I got my bike back from where I had to lock it up and take the bus and I can see now that the rear hub assembly or maybe what you might call the axle is turning but the rear tire is not getting caught and pushed forward.
And if I turn the pedals backward they do not just go easy like before but are now turning the chain.
I have not searched too much on the web yet on this as want to see what ya all think is the problem.
Thanks for any advice.
Oscar