Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Creaking Brooks England B17 Saddle
G'day
I had a creak on the CRX 1 which I had put down to the KMC chain. Well with the arrival of the Surly LHT I moved the Brooks B17 over to it and blow me down the creak has gone with the saddle! Okay it is as tight as on the seat post. So any other ideas on the possible cause/solution?
Thanks<br />
Andrew

Aushiker.com
@Aushiker on Twitter

A broken clock is correct twice a day
Probably creaking where the rails attach to the shell. You may be able to drip a little oil into that joint and fix it. Make sure to use something that won't damage the material of the seat.

My fairly new B17 was creaking too. I traced it to the plate at the rear of the saddle, the leather is rubbing against the copper plate (I have the copper version).
I resolved it by oiling it, so the oil is between the metal and the leather.

G'day
Sorry for not updating this posting. I applied some Brooks Proofhide where the seat rubs against metal and that seems to have resolved the issue.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Regards<br />
Andrew

Aushiker.com
@Aushiker on Twitter

(05-02-2009, 11:38 AM)gilesjuk Wrote:  My fairly new B17 was creaking too. I traced it to the plate at the rear of the saddle, the leather is rubbing against the copper plate (I have the copper version).
I resolved it by oiling it, so the oil is between the metal and the leather.

What color did you get your B17 Special. I have the Brooks B17 Special in green.
Its still hard as a rock lol. But with time it will get better I keep telling my self this too.
Brooks Proofide helps a lot seems like right after I put some on the night before I go ridding then clean it in the morning its rides better than the last time I think it helps to get it broke in a little faster my self.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
(02-26-2010, 06:58 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  Brooks Proofide helps a lot seems like right after I put some on the night before I go ridding then clean it in the morning its rides better than the last time I think it helps to get it broke in a little faster my self.

Hi

You should be careful to not over apply the Proofide. It can soften the leather too much and the saddle will start sagging.

Andrew
Aushiker.com
@Aushiker on Twitter

AAAAWWWW!!!! I HATE it when people solve things without me!!!!Big Grin
Dedicated scholar of bicycles

Possibly Related Threads...