Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear wheel rubbing brake pad
I'm new to the Forum and getting back on the pedals. I just purchased a Trials bike and after assembly and first ride, rear wheel became un-aligned and is rubbing against the brake. I noticed there are (2) bracket type parts, one on each side, that look like they attach to the frame at the rear forks. These are NOT attached to anything but sit around the axle. Any ideas on what this part is called and if it's the cause of my problem?

I appreciate the help.
I think what you're talking about are called chain tensioners. If so, they help you adjust the position of the rear wheel in the frame. It may be that you didn't have them and the rear axle bolts tight enough to prevent slipping. Google chain tensioners to see if we're talking about the same thing and how to set them.

One note, align the wheel to the frame (center between the seat stays and chain stays) and make sure the chain is tight enough. THEN align the brake to the wheel. Don't use the brake to decide if the wheel is in the right place.
(10-18-2011, 07:51 PM)DaveM Wrote:  I think what you're talking about are called chain tensioners. If so, they help you adjust the position of the rear wheel in the frame. It may be that you didn't have them and the rear axle bolts tight enough to prevent slipping. Google chain tensioners to see if we're talking about the same thing and how to set them.

One note, align the wheel to the frame (center between the seat stays and chain stays) and make sure the chain is tight enough. THEN align the brake to the wheel. Don't use the brake to decide if the wheel is in the right place.

Thanks. I'll look it up. And great tip on not using the break to align the wheel. That's excactly what I was doing.
(10-18-2011, 07:51 PM)DaveM Wrote:  I think what you're talking about are called chain tensioners. If so, they help you adjust the position of the rear wheel in the frame. It may be that you didn't have them and the rear axle bolts tight enough to prevent slipping. Google chain tensioners to see if we're talking about the same thing and how to set them.

Here's a photo. It's the slotted aluminum part between the frame and hub. I see pre-drilled holes in the frame that would line up, but there's no way to get an allen wrench in there to attach or tighten it to the frame. Any suggestions or tricks of the trade that might help?

Possibly Related Threads...