Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can't remove axle from Surly Hub
I was planning to repack bearing in the hubs on my Surly Steamroller, but I got stuck pretty quickly.

I removed the wheel nut from one side, and removed two cone-like nuts and spacers with cone wrenches (apologies I don't know what these nuts are actually called), exposing the bearings on one side (2 pics below).

I thought at this point I could just pull the axle through from the other side - not so. It is wobbly and pulls out about 1mm but not further.

Unscrewing the "cones" on the other side is not productive, and I assume the cog is irrelevant as it is on the exterior of the hub. I attached a photo of the other side below. You can see me prying up the dust cover a little bit with a screwdriver, but I can't get this axle out.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
-pnj
You have a hub with sealed bearings - generally lubricated for life. If they don't wobble or squeak; leave them alone.

Generally, if you take sealed bearing hubs apart, you should replace the bearings, as the removal procedure will often damage the bearings. The outer race is a light press fit into the hub. Unfortunately there is no way to press on the outer race to remove the bearing from the hub, the only choice is to press on the inner race, which will result in the balls making dents in the races.

If you really want go all the way, use a wooden block, and gently hammer the side you took all the hardware off, the bearing on the cog side will come out after 10 mm or so. The repeat on the non-drive side. Get replacement bearings, install by pressing against the outer races only, making sure that you install the axle after the first bearing, and before the second bearing.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: !TREK4ME!