Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Thrilled with 1986 Schwinn Traveler
Hi
well need to get out and get in shape so hit local second hand store..found this bike complete for 35.00 February 2011 ..new tubes tires minor adjustments and 500 miles later still runs great ..fantastic bike for the $$ and recall my old ten speed days..this is a 12 ..
Royal Blue (newer handlbar tape I did)
Suntour 5000 Train /Sun Tour shifters
Bio_Pace ? Sakae crank
DiaComp brakes
Atom 77 hub
Weinmann 27" rims 416 Alloys
says custom on handlebars
well could not believe I found this and is a daily rider with reliability
2 hours a week maintainance and best sounding cassette nice and loud
trying to update weakest part of this bike..rims need constant trueing but I work this bike hard ..
may have Phil Wood rims if I can swing it on eBay..hoping these need less maintainance and stay true..
other than that this bike is perfect for where I live..
rack was on a Schwinn Caliente crashed bike acquired for 20.00 ..sold those rims for 20.00 and put this Swiss Fletcher mousetrap rack on ..nice and light vintage too
still needs some fine tuning but riding weather now fix is come winter iron out bugs first ..
have others will post but this bike I really like and reminds me of the old ten speeds I had 35 years ago ..and 12 speed then was the KING back in the day !
well enjoy hope you like it and be back frequently..more pics of other vintage 10-12 speeds I found cheap ..
oh I did remove the San Marco seat as small rip will fix and put back on .. last pic shows seat it came with ..
Teisco_Kid
I need to get out more often and start looking for these deals. A very nice bike especially for the money.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(05-28-2011, 10:29 PM)JohnV Wrote:  I need to get out more often and start looking for these deals. A very nice bike especially for the money.

Have a Giant Cypress 2001 model as well got for free , in CT where I work occasionally ,keep at friends house ..21 speeds lot hills there 12 speed forget it there..put on tubes tires and away I went all stock perfect condition...I thank Good lord for my good fortune..think he wants me to save a few these throw-aways ..awesome bike the Giant is for that location ..prefer 12s though as builds muscle better less gearing choice..
Thank you for kind reply !
Teisco_Kid
Ahhhhh! Very cool !
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Here is a link to my Giant Cypress (and my Defy) but unfortunately, I didn't get it for free.

My Giants

I still keep looking for these deals on old road bikes that people are throwing away because I want to fix one up for my oldest grandson but I never seem to find any. I guess, I just need to drive around different neighborhoods and see if anybody is throwing away old road bikes.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(05-28-2011, 10:13 PM)Teisco_KId Wrote:  Hi
well need to get out and get in shape so hit local second hand store..found this bike complete for 35.00 February 2011 ..new tubes tires minor adjustments and 500 miles later still runs great ..fantastic bike for the $$ . . .
Teisco_Kid

Well, all I can say is, YOU SUCK! (meaning I wish I had found it first) LOL!

Nice find Teisco! Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(05-28-2011, 10:13 PM)Teisco_KId Wrote:  .........trying to update weakest part of this bike..rims need constant trueing but I work this bike hard ..
may have Phil Wood rims if I can swing it on eBay..hoping these need less maintainance and stay true..

Great looking bike. I would like one, but in a larger size Smile

Most likely causes of the wheels not holding true is not enough spoke tension, and not stress relieved after tensioning/trueing. If this is not the case, then either the rim or the hub (or both) have cracks.

99% of wheel issues have nothing to do with the components used, and everything to do with the build process.
Nigel
Great find, so jealous.
(05-29-2011, 07:04 AM)JohnV Wrote:  Here is a link to my Giant Cypress (and my Defy) but unfortunately, I didn't get it for free.

My Giants

I still keep looking for these deals on old road bikes that people are throwing away because I want to fix one up for my oldest grandson but I never seem to find any. I guess, I just need to drive around different neighborhoods and see if anybody is throwing away old road bikes.

well same second hand store went back bought another Schwinn Mirada almost Mint 90s Candy Apple red for 40.00 ..had to make deal to get the guitar..sold that doubled my $$ ..bike hanging in basement and I will never use it..26" Mountain/hybrid I think..bad rear wheel only issue..15 or 18 spedds..this bike you would swear had a suspension and it does not.real comfy ride works great 15 or 18 speed..think will post it here maybe someone can use it for what i paid for it, shipping is expensive though..fellow gave me a Schwinn Varsity too yellow all there complete free to 27: mens ..hate to part out gotta start listing this stuff here I can' keep every one I find..Ha Ha no more room ..
well Keep ridin and posting my Giant pics in a week or so
Teisco_Kid
well keep looking hope you find one..
Holy cow! You have invested well. Out of curiosity what does the headbadge say on the Mirada?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hi
well its says Schwinn Quality and tiny letters 3190 ..maybe when it was made ? not sure about that ...BTW posted this in marketplace think you will find ad of interest or maybe someone will.
Thanks
Teisco_Kid
(05-30-2011, 10:09 AM)Bill Wrote:  Holy cow! You have invested well. Out of curiosity what does the headbadge say on the Mirada?

Schwinn Quality small numbers 3190 to left in center of badge, not sure maybe made on that date ? Posted bike in Market have a look may be of interest ..
Teisco_Kid
I'm thinking maybe the alloy 3190 tubing make-up!?!?
I don't want to post unsubstantiated information or rumors, but I do remember reading somewhere the Biopace chainwheels were recalled.

Sheldon doesn't offer anything about the recall but it is definitely worth checking out when you have the time. If you are planning to resell it, then make sure it isn't recalled because of the liability.

http://sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

Bill; some of those badges have the date codes I think, stamped in 4 tiny characters. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that's the 31st week of 1990.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(05-30-2011, 10:04 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  I don't want to post unsubstantiated information or rumors, but I do remember reading somewhere the Biopace chainwheels were recalled.

Sheldon doesn't offer anything about the recall but it is definitely worth checking out when you have the time. If you are planning to resell it, then make sure it isn't recalled because of the liability.

http://sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

Bill; some of those badges have the date codes I think, stamped in 4 tiny characters. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that's the 31st week of 1990.

Steve

if this bike is a 1990 it is in incredible condition..paint looks like it was sprayed week ago ..I really am just starting to enjoy bikes and as not enough room for all of them have to sell give some away..wish I had a warehouse would keep them all ...have a riding club , repair clinics, oh well maybe next lifetime...am not sure if this is Bio-pace train ..Centurion bikes mostly have them far as I know..Sakae crank on Traveler works well shifts nice too ..believe adjusted at factory and never touched after..not one to mess with something if it works well..Teisco_KId

[/quote]
Wasn't too sure on the headbadge so you are probably right. There is a 3190 alloy though, but not alot of info on it. After reading the article about Biopace sounded pretty neat in theory.
This is actually a 1989 Schwinn Traveler! It looks very similar to the 1986, but the only different at a quick glance is where the gear-shift levers are, and that the 1989 model has a Schwinn decal on the fork whereas the 1986 model doesn't. Here is a link of both models (the 1986 contains two links because the catalog picture was on two pages):

1986 Schwinn Traveler:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1986Ltwt20.html

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1986Ltwt21.html

1989 Schwinn Traveler:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1989_Ltwt_11.html
(06-03-2011, 02:14 AM)Macintosh. Wrote:  This is actually a 1989 Schwinn Traveler! It looks very similar to the 1986, but the only different at a quick glance is where the gear-shift levers are, and that the 1989 model has a Schwinn decal on the fork whereas the 1986 model doesn't. Here is a link of both models (the 1986 contains two links because the catalog picture was on two pages):

1986 Schwinn Traveler:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1986Ltwt20.html

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1986Ltwt21.html

1989 Schwinn Traveler:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1989_Ltwt_11.html

Thanks for setting the record straight..its a 1989 for sure ..
Teisco_Kid

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-02-2022, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Criminal

10-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

04-05-2012, 11:28 AM