Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

2 free wheel sets different seasons
Hello All.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to have a summer wheel set for outdoor riding and a winter wheel set for indoor trainer riding. I'd like to do this without having to replace the chain every season or change tires every time. I'd like to just exchange the entire set for the other.

Any suggestions or questions would be helpful.

Thanks.
-Jason
should not be a problem as long as you do not use a different speed hub.If you have a 7speed
and buy a 8/9 speed hub you will have to buy a 3mil spacer to go behind the cogs,which then you will have different high / low limit adjustments and will be incompatible.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-25-2011, 12:41 PM)jasonsbr Wrote:  Hello All.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to have a summer wheel set for outdoor riding and a winter wheel set for indoor trainer riding. I'd like to do this without having to replace the chain every season or change tires every time. I'd like to just exchange the entire set for the other.

Thanks.
-Jason

Jason--

I think you are over-thinking this (and that can be expensive).
painkiller that's what I was thinking!

Every bike store I've been to has told me no it can't be done, and never given a good reason why not. I have the same 2 cassettes (8 speed) on 2 different wheels, so no spacer will be needed.

Thanks.
This is actually pretty common so I have to assume the shops were confused as to what you were trying to do.
One thing to watch out for is if the two cassettes have very different tooth counts, you could have an issue with chain length or even derailleur capacity. But 2-3 teeth in either direction shouldn't make a difference.
all I am saying is find a set of wheels with same style hub or will will have to adjust derailluers and you do not want that. or I do not understand the question right.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-25-2011, 12:41 PM)jasonsbr Wrote:  Hello All.

Thanks.
-Jason
Jason;

There are several interpretations to what you are asking.

My guess is that you want to swap the rear wheel entirely, keeping one for indoor use only and one for outdoor use only; with identical cassettes on both.

If this is the case, no problem at all. If you get the same hub on both wheels, you will not need to make any adjustment at all. If they are different hubs, but both the same number of speed, at worse there will need to be minor (¼ turn) adjustments to the limit screws and cable length.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Last Post: DaveM

09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Last Post: DaveM

07-18-2010, 04:31 PM