Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to remove axle from Vuelta XRP Pro wheel
There is a collar on both sides with a 2mm hex screw. After removing the screws nothing seems to want to budge. There are no hex flats insides the axle either, just a round smooth bore.

How do I remove this axle, so I can ultimately remove the freehub to lube?

[attachment=2288][attachment=2289]
(04-29-2011, 11:50 AM)moondog321 Wrote:  There is a collar on both sides with a 2mm hex screw. After removing the screws nothing seems to want to budge. There are no hex flats insides the axle either, just a round smooth bore.

You can always contact the company.... http://vueltaxrpwheels.com/contact.asp
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-29-2011, 11:50 AM)moondog321 Wrote:  There is a collar on both sides with a 2mm hex screw. After removing the screws nothing seems to want to budge. There are no hex flats insides the axle either, just a round smooth bore.

Have the same hub (grinding, need to repair or lube). Did you ever figure this out? Smile
(06-19-2011, 04:13 PM)mattbp Wrote:  

Have the same hub (grinding, need to repair or lube). Did you ever figure this out? Smile

I got the axle out by loosening the set screws in the collars on both sides and driving the axle out with a wooden mallet to prevent damage. Make a note of the amount of axle showing on both sides of the collar before removing.To remove the cartridge-type bearings I tapped them out with a wooden dowel to prevent damage to them. I got this procedure directly from Vuelta. To reinstall bearings tap them in using a socket the same size as the outer race of the bearing. They go in pretty easily especially if you lube with teflon. Hope this helps.
(06-20-2011, 02:05 PM)moondog321 Wrote:  

I got the axle out by loosening the set screws in the collars on both sides and driving the axle out with a wooden mallet to prevent damage. Make a note of the amount of axle showing on both sides of the collar before removing.To remove the cartridge-type bearings I tapped them out with a wooden dowel to prevent damage to them. I got this procedure directly from Vuelta. To reinstall bearings tap them in using a socket the same size as the outer race of the bearing. They go in pretty easily especially if you lube with teflon. Hope this helps.

However, I never did get the freehub off. Used a 12mm allen but couldn't get the leverage to break it free.

However, I never did get the freehub off. Used a 12mm allen but couldn't get the leverage to break it free.

Thanks for the info! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...