Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano twist shifters
Hiya,

I've got a MTB with shimano SL-RS30 twist/grip shifters. I've taken them apart as per your video and lubricated the cable. I've also dripped bike oil into the shifter housing as suggested.

In slot 6 its fine, but downshifting to 1 is almost impossible, very stiff and painful on the hands.

Do you have any suggestions on how to ease the twist action as its almost unusable at present.

PJ
start by checking your limit screw again
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-17-2011, 12:07 PM)painkiller Wrote:  start by checking your limit screw again

Cheers painkiller, is the limit screw the "B" screw on the rear derailleur or part of the gear shift housing?

P
(04-17-2011, 02:02 PM)axem Wrote:  
(04-17-2011, 12:07 PM)painkiller Wrote:  start by checking your limit screw again

Cheers painkiller, is the limit screw the "B" screw on the rear derailleur or part of the gear shift housing?

P
on the derailleur, there are:
  • a high limit screw - to adjust the maximum travel of the derailleur towards the small (high) sprockets.
  • low limit screw - adjust the travel limit towards the wheel (large sprokets) - low gears
  • B- screw adjust the angle of the parallelgram of the derailleur
  • cable length adjustment.

I would completely disconnect the cable from the rear derailleur, make sure that cable moves freely when you shift, and the you can manually (and easily move) the derailleur from the High limit to Low limit. If everything is good, reconnect cable.
Nigel
As nfMISSO stated disconnect cable pull lightly with your hand and make sure it moves freely
if it does then I would suspect the low limit screw is stopping the derailluer just a smidge to soon
forcing you to torque hard on that gear to set the click
back it out about a 1/4 turn or so and see how that works
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Heya both,

I've taken the thing apart again and still no closer.

There is no "B" screw on this model - I've even checked the shimano specs RD-TY18.

I'm at the point where the L limit is fully in and the gear is still on 6 (fully H) with no movement.

How do I know when the gear cable needs replacing? I'm wondering if thats what's causing my issue.

PJ
(04-19-2011, 01:42 PM)axem Wrote:  Heya both,

I've taken the thing apart again and still no closer.

There is no "B" screw on this model - I've even checked the shimano specs RD-TY18.

I'm at the point where the L limit is fully in and the gear is still on 6 (fully H) with no movement.

How do I know when the gear cable needs replacing? I'm wondering if thats what's causing my issue.

PJ

it is not clear that you completely disconnected the cable from the derailleur, put the bike on a stand or upside down, while rotating the pedals, then with your hand moved the derailleur over its full stroke.

Have you done this?
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...