Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Fixing up Jupiter Beat Super Deluxe
Hey all of you!

Tomorrow I buy a very unique bicycle from a pawn shop in the hopes of restoring it. The model is a Jupiter Beat Super Deluxe 10 speed.

I have no idea what condition the gears and drivetrain are in, or the brakes, or whether it will fit me (I am 6'4") but tomorrow I will find out and hopefully walk away with a nice new project. Before I commit, though, I have a couple questions.

Can I retrofit an old bike with a new drivetrain-slash-chainrings?

Also, have any of you heard of a way to extend the seat (to raise it) in case the frame is too small? Perhaps an extended seat-post, or a means to move the seat further back on the bike itself.

Thanks for the input! Smile
(04-14-2011, 01:30 AM)IAmTheMoose Wrote:  Hey all of you!

Tomorrow I buy a very unique bicycle from a pawn shop in the hopes of restoring it. The model is a Jupiter Beat Super Deluxe 10 speed.

I have no idea what condition the gears and drivetrain are in, or the brakes, or whether it will fit me (I am 6'4") but tomorrow I will find out and hopefully walk away with a nice new project. Before I commit, though, I have a couple questions.

Can I retrofit an old bike with a new drivetrain-slash-chainrings?

Also, have any of you heard of a way to extend the seat (to raise it) in case the frame is too small? Perhaps an extended seat-post, or a means to move the seat further back on the bike itself.

Thanks for the input! Smile

Hello ,
We will do our best to help ya out. There is an extended seat post made, but I am not too familiar with it. Yes they make parts that are newer and will fit older bikes. Even if you do get the bike and do not like it the restore process will help you learn about how to fix the next one that you do like so really you won't be out anything. Just make sure you check over the frame for cracks, dings, bent tubing, scarred/chipped paint, and broken weld joints (think that is the right terminology). Think of it like buying a used vehicle from an auto lot!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Good luck with your project, but before you begin, you have to realize:
1.your bike + parts cost will be probably more than new bike.($59 from Walmart)
2.when your project is done you will not get your money back if you decide to sell.
I am sure there are deals when you can repair, sell and make money at least to compensate your time, but you have to know a lot to find one.

Just watch videos here a few times, you'll do fine.
True enough. One of the reasons I want to do this is to learn more about bike repair and maintenance, as well as get a sweet ride to commute on. Hopefully the bike won't have any undesirable characteristics in its integrity, and will be the right size, and then the real fun begins Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-03-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Jesper

07-23-2021, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Jesper

09-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Last Post: nfmisso