Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shop Tool Cart
Hi all,

I recently picked up this "US General" tool cart on sale at Harbor Freight for $99 and it seems it goes on sale a lot, but retails for $230 or so. Generally, I don't buy Chinese products but I can say without doubt the materials alone are worth as much if not more than $99.

The ONLY drawbacks to the cart are the casters and the way they attach to the cart. Well, I'm not a fan of the manufacturer using carriage bolts either, but that's no big deal. The manufacturer calls for the casters to be attached directly to the 22-24 gauge sheet metal bottom shelf. In my opinion, eventually that configuration will cause the bottom sheet metal to bend slightly over time as the heavy tool-laden cart is pushed around the garage.

To solve the problem, I used 1/8" thick 4" wide flat steel I happened to have on hand, cut to size to provide extra support for the casters. An after thought was instead of making individual supports for each caster, it would be even better to cut a 3" wide flat plate extending the length left to right (or front to back) providing support for 2 casters each support plate. I used a chop saw to cut the pieces and a drill press with an over sized drill bit so the holes would match up. You definitely don't want to drill through any of the powder coated paint to maintain the protection from rust. And I did paint the new supports.

Overall, the modification is a major improvement to the cart. The casters could ALSO be improved by spending $25 to $50 each for HIGH-QUALITY new casters. This would allow the cart to be easily moved with a finger touch instead of having a slight drag like the current cheap casters do. After improvements this cart would be the equivalent of a $500+ tool cart in my opinion. Smile

BTW, I moved the push handle up toward the top after these photos. Easier on the back. Smile

Thanks for looking,
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Nice job on the mods.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
I like it. Seems pretty nifty to have sometimes.
Very nice
Job Steve
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I am willing to bet that Steve has ghost-white legs in August because he spends all of his time playing with bike tools in the garage. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(04-11-2011, 08:00 PM)RobAR Wrote:  I am willing to bet that Steve has ghost-white legs in August because he spends all of his time playing with bike tools in the garage. Smile

He-he, yup "ghost-white" but not because I don't want to lay out in the sun any more. It's because I get more pleasure from working with tools inside and even when outside I refuse to wear shorts. Smile

And I'm way past the stage of trying to impress women. Smile

Thanks guys!
Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Quote:even when outside I refuse to wear shorts.

And I thought I was the only one who felt that way, and I live in Florida. Outside of riding shorts, I don't wear shorts either.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Hehehe I'll just say I'm tan year round in my own mind Big Grin .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-12-2011, 02:38 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  And I'm way past the stage of trying to impress women. Smile

I know. They impress me more everyday! Wink

Steve - as you have already singed the leg-hairs.. might as well shave the calves. It's a start. Shins, too.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-05-2020, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Jesper

03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Last Post: RobAR

02-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Bill