Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Falcon Viper
Hi everyone,
This is my falcon Viper, I found last month in a collapsed shed of a house my in laws were moving into. Unfortunately I do not have a pictures from when I first got it, but when found the chain, rear set, wheels and spokes were rusted completely. A wee bit of elbow grease, a lot of degreaser and a load of ear bashing from her indoors, I have managed to get it to the ride-able state, you see in the photo. The bike had the original blue tires, but the rear was in a terrible state so had to be changed. Will also change the front shortly as the wall of the tire is cracked badly.
Still to do:
Remove the decals, they are badly scraped, Wire wool the handlebars and bull bars as they are pitted and rusted. Probably just respray them myself, change all the wires to the brakes and gears then set up the front derailer and that should be it finished, hopefully.
[attachment=2042]
Very nice find. Not sure about the blue tires, but the rest of the bike looks great.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Nice bike you got going there!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hi Nice retro bike - just a tip - always take the photo of the drive side especially on an old skool Lets see what it looks like there then. This bike might have a nice LX chain set on it or something.
Thanks everyone for their replies, just decided to update re: the Falcon, well she is finished. Replaced both tyres, seat and post, bearings in the crank and all the cables. Sanded and resprayed handlebars and bull bars.
Here is a recent photo, minus new seat and the resprayed bars.
[attachment=2067]
Recently posted on a free ad site and on the off chance I asked for old and unused bikes, so that I could fix up. Truthfully I didn't expect much, possibly some rusted parts at best. Instead I got the two bikes shown below, One is a 18' Shockwave susi550 mountain bike with 18 gears. Apart from a loose crank and wobbly back wheel and some surface rust, she is in brilliant condition.
The second bike needs a lot more work, she is a Townsend Maximum mountain bike with 21 gears. At present I need to change chain, rear sprockets, bearings in the crank, all the cables, possible new seat post and will sand and respray handle bars and post.
Not bad wee bikes, especially since they cost me nothing.
(04-07-2011, 03:38 AM)doctordee Wrote:  Thanks everyone for their replies, just decided to update re: the Falcon, well she is finished. Replaced both tyres, seat and post, bearings in the crank and all the cables. Sanded and resprayed handlebars and bull bars.
Here is a recent photo, minus new seat and the resprayed bars.

Recently posted on a free ad site and on the off chance I asked for old and unused bikes, so that I could fix up. Truthfully I didn't expect much, possibly some rusted parts at best. Instead I got the two bikes shown below, One is a 18' Shockwave susi550 mountain bike with 18 gears. Apart from a loose crank and wobbly back wheel and some surface rust, she is in brilliant condition.
The second bike needs a lot more work, she is a Townsend Maximum mountain bike with 21 gears. At present I need to change chain, rear sprockets, bearings in the crank, all the cables, possible new seat post and will sand and respray handle bars and post.
Not bad wee bikes, especially since they cost me nothing.

Your bikes looking nice bro! And you got both of those for free? WOW! No one here gives away free bikes...
Like I said, I didn't expect anything, but my luck must be in, I had also advertised for old, broken or unused guitar effect pedals. In the last two weeks since the ad was posted online, I have collected eight pedals, two broken with dodgy wiring (easily fixed), three I will use for parts and the rest have no problems what so ever.
With my luck hopefully holding, I'm going to ask for a Porsche (working), a bigger house (fully decorated and furnished) and I will offer my wife (used and knackered) in exchange. lol.
When I wanted to extend my bike range, I think my wife got the wrong end of the stick and bought me and my son a trail-gator. Took three plus hours to fit, and did ten miles dragging my son behind me. Although I have got to admit, it was great fun, really enjoyable and great for the exercise plan. Plus My son loved it as well, shouting at passers by to move.
Now this is VERY VERY AWESOME!!!! Your wife chose well doc! This is a priceless picture. Be proud and thats kinda funny that your little one yelled at passers-by! Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-15-2011, 12:34 PM)doctordee Wrote:  When I wanted to extend my bike range, I think my wife got the wrong end of the stick and bought me and my son a trail-gator. Took three plus hours to fit, and did ten miles dragging my son behind me. Although I have got to admit, it was great fun, really enjoyable and great for the exercise plan. Plus My son loved it as well, shouting at passers by to move.

My dad had one of these. Took him a while to convince my little brother not to back pedal and apply his brake Haha! Looks fun though!
two free bikes cool,
i have found three abandoned bikes in three days on the way to tec, strange as i hadn't nothing the whole year along the same route. must be people spring cleaning.

that falcon looks a little small for you!
(04-15-2011, 04:24 PM)Darrenjs92ni Wrote:  two free bikes cool,
i have found three abandoned bikes in three days on the way to tec, strange as i hadn't nothing the whole year along the same route. must be people spring cleaning.

that falcon looks a little small for you!

it must be all this wealth flying around norn Iron and everyone getting rid of unwanted bikes. As for the size issue, I'm 6'4 and 17 stone, I make most bikes look like kids bikes, lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

07-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Bill