Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need new parts!
Hey everyone!, I'm new to the site but it looks like it is a pretty good site. I have a 2002 Trek Fuel 90 that has the original Crankset, rear cassette, and chain on it and I am looking to replace them because many of the teeth are either really worn or broken and the derailer is skipping gears quite a bit. I already had the derailer adjusted at the beginning of last season and I don't think that is really the reason why it is skipping.

My issue is the following: I was going to just replace the chainrings on the crank but it came with a Bontrager Comp 44/32/22 and I can't seem to find anywhere online where I can just buy the rings themselves and I'm not sure what rings would actually fit on the crank. I have read some things online that say most rings might not fit properly so that is why I was looking to replace the whole crankset. I'm not sure what one would actually fit. The only real information I could find regarding my bike is at the following website:

http://www.realmtb.com/services/browse_ads/product.php?product_id=232

I was looking at getting maybe a Shimano SLX FC-M66010 Dyna-Sys MTB Crank which includes a bottom bracket but I'm not sure if it will fit my bike or not. It gives the choice of either a 170 mm or a 175 mm and I'm not sure how to figure out which one to choose. How would I find this out? Another thing that I was reading is that considering it is a Shimano I would have to have a special bottom bracket tool to install it.

I also would like to swap the rear cassette and was looking at a Shimano Deore XT M770 9 Speed Cassette but I'm not sure if that would fit either.

I would like to keep my costs down as much as possible but I also don't want garbage installed on my bike. I would love to put really good parts on but I just can't afford it right now. Any assistance would be great.

Thanks.
Try a local bike shop ?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET