Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Newest Treasure from the trash.
Found this put out for the trash. It was sitting next to another bike by their trashcans. So I threw both of them in my truck. They are both pretty weathered, it looks like they sat out back for a decade or so. Little bit of love and I'll have them up and running.
You got the right photo there Jordan?? :-)))
This bike looks in good shape, no rust on crank , cosmetics and labels look good, spokes do not look rusted out, rims look good, clean brakes. Lots of extras on the handlebars.

Good find.
Never Give Up!!!
Is it not amazing what some people throw out?
i can plenty more miles left it that bike after a bit of TLC
Yep! Just my luck! I ride around looking for such treasures to build a road bike for my 15 year old grandson and all I ever see by the trash is kid's tricycles and BMX bikes.

Great looking bike for a throw away. Let me know if you want to get rid of it. It's not that long of a drive to Gainsville.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(03-08-2011, 11:34 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Found this put out for the trash. It was sitting next to another bike by their trashcans. So I threw both of them in my truck. They are both pretty weathered, it looks like they sat out back for a decade or so. Little bit of love and I'll have them up and running.

I was wandering where my bike went. I just left it by some trash cans for a moment and next thing I know..........

Nice find Jordan!!
It was a good find. I'l post a picture of the other bike it was next to. It's some kind of women's schwinn road bike. Pictures coming later.

:::JohnV - I'm not attached to it, what do you have in mind?
Hope you got a tall grandson as that looks like a 58cm (maybe more) frame Mr. JohnV.

Whats his stand over.
Never Give Up!!!
He's pretty close to 6 foot and growing. I was going to buy him one but my daughter said to wait on it because she wanted to make sure that he would use it before I put money into it. If I can find one that I can fix up that isn't going to cost much to fix, I would go that route before getting a new one. Jordan, if you can tell me the frame size and what needs to be done with it, maybe I'll get with you off line and we can work something out.
HCFR Cycling Team
Very nice finds! Another reason why I call this forum my 3rd home! Big Grin
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Why would someone throw that away? If they really didn't want it that would fetch something on craigslist easily.
Frame size is 60cm, maybe 62cm
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-2677.html
Quote:Frame size is 60cm, maybe 62cm

That may be a bit too big for him. I ride a medium frame (50-52 cm) and I'm 5'8". I think that anything over a 55 cm (large) frame is going to be too big, especially in the stand-over height.
HCFR Cycling Team
Yeah this thing is HUGE. You can see in the picture, whoever had it before had the seat all the way down so it was probably too big for them.
I like to stretch on my bikes so I usually get the biggest bike I can stand over.

IMO the 50-52 size is small. I am 5'7'' with 30" stand over. I ride a 53cm RB and a 19" MB. Used to be two sizes 21" (53cm) and 23" (58cm). Now we got lots of sizes. Panasonic in the late 70-80 started building frames to order couse body torsos and leg and arm lengths vary. The dealers had a fit system and ordered bikes from the Factory. Some totally awesome bikes. Usually the "Team" level.
IMO a 6' plus guy will be cramped on a 55cm frame. Although its what you are used to. Look at stand over height.
I see a lot of tall bikes on Craigs list, guess I am on the short size. :-)))
Never Give Up!!!
Jordan,

It looks very large in the photo. I was looking at the length of head tube and the distance between the top and down tube.

George,

The 50-52 cm length is Giant's spec for my Defy, which is a medium frame. They may have different specs for their bikes then others do, I don't know. I'll have to ask my daughter what his pants inseam is, which will give me some idea of the stand-over height he needs.
HCFR Cycling Team

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Last Post: CharleyFarley