Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New Tektro brakes for my old French bike... Problems!
I ride a 1975 French Motobecane, and I think it's time to replace the aging cantilever brake set with new caliper brakes.

Here's the problem: My front brake bolt is 2" long, and my rear brake bolt is 1 3/4" long, and I need all of that length to attach the brakes to the bike. It's my understanding that new Tektro brakes come with a standard bolt length that is shorter - because I recently had a pair of new Tektros in my hands and held them up to my frame.

Can I special order a longer bolt (the tapered kind that the Tektro brakes use) anywhere?

If not... I think I could (gulp) possibly widen the holes in my bike's frame to accommodate these shorter, wider bolts, but I'm kind of afraid to do that.

Has anyone out there gone through the process of getting and old bike outfitted with new brakes, and can you help me out?

-Kris
My advice would be to take a trip to a bolt supplier, and see what they can find. Or drop into a hardware store.

(actually, whack pictures of the bolts up, I'm not 100% sure what they look like)
(03-07-2011, 11:20 AM)JonB Wrote:  My advice would be to take a trip to a bolt supplier, and see what they can find. Or drop into a hardware store.

(actually, whack pictures of the bolts up, I'm not 100% sure what they look like)

I tried Home Depot last night, and the gentleman who helped me out took one look at the bolt and said "We don't have it." After a pause, he added, "And I'd almost be willing to stake my life that you won't find that bolt in any store."

Argh.

I'll throw up a photo later today in hopes that you or someone will be able to assist me with finding it. Obviously there's someone somewhere who makes them...
I understand what your saying.
The front "bolt" needs to be that long to go through the fork crown but where does the back fit?
Modern fitting calipers generally use an Allen nut which sinks into the fork or rear fitting position.
You can get extended Allen nuts where a longer fitting is required.

See SJS website for examples and ideas:-
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?name=brake%20nuts&page=1
The other thing to be aware of is the brake "drop". (that is the distance from the fixing hole to the rim of wheel.) as there are various sizes.

Nut fitting calipers are still available as shown on the web-page.
If you want to fix an Allen nut version then you can usually drill out the rear part of the fixing hole.
The hole has to be just big enough to take the nut "shaft" but not big enough to let the "shoulder" through.!!

If in doubt then I would suggest you consult your local bike shop or an experienced cyclist friend.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(03-07-2011, 11:06 AM)jkm-moto Wrote:  ....
Has anyone out there gone through the process of getting and old bike outfitted with new brakes, and can you help me out?

-Kris
Hi Kris;

Yes; take a look at the
"Tektro R559 Nutted Mount Version Dual-Pivot Calipers $69.95/set" on this page:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-calipers.html

I recently installed them on my mid '80's Schwinn World Tourist (made by Giant). Because of cable routing, I ended up mounting the rear one ahead of the fork. They work great.

I could not find any other suppliers of these.
Nigel
Ok, everyone, thanks for helping out. As it turns out, all I need are the nutted version of the same brakes, or to drill out the frame to make room for the recessed nut (which is the new plan).

To anyone who read this thread to whom this seemed like an obvious solution, I'm sorry for wasting your time. It's my first time overhauling an old bike, and it has been a pretty steep learning curve for me. (Once this job is done, I'm going to feel like an expert!)

Good ol' Sheldon Brown came to my rescue, as did someone at Harris Cyclery, who kindly explained to me that the nutted versions of brakes that they sell have a longer bolt. He didn't even call me an idiot for not knowing!

If anyone has a link to good instructions or strategies for drilling my frame to make room for the recessed brake nuts, I would be much obliged.
(03-09-2011, 11:58 AM)jkm-moto Wrote:  ........
If anyone has a link to good instructions or strategies for drilling my frame to make room for the recessed brake nuts, I would be much obliged.

Not recommended for the faint of heart.

tools:
drill (3/8" variable speed preferred).
drill bit fractionally larger than the body of the recessed nut, but much smaller than the lip.
stop collar for the above bit.
calipers.
oil.

Use calipers to confirm drill bit size, and to determine position for the stop collar on the drill bit.

lubricate drill bit

drill out hole at slow speed. Double check the diameter and depth using the recessed nut at frequent intervals, starting when you are less than 1/16" (1.5mm) in, just in case you picked the wrong drill bit.

If you really screw up, just purchase a new fork.
Nigel
I have a couple of questions regarding this procedure nfmisso if you will humor them. I know this is an old thread but it is a useful one!
I would like to do the same to my Peugeot U08 rebuild and equip it with modern brakes and calipers but I want to be sure of the type of drill bit that I should employ. Is there any particular type of bit of do I just use a standard hardened bit? Also what size bit collars should I get or should I just get a set of them?

Thanks a lot. This is my first posting here but I am active in BikeForums.net.

(03-09-2011, 08:58 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  [quote='jkm-moto' pid='14438' dateline='1299686333']
Not recommended for the faint of heart.

tools:
drill (3/8" variable speed preferred).
drill bit fractionally larger than the body of the recessed nut, but much smaller than the lip.
stop collar for the above bit.
calipers.
oil.

Use calipers to confirm drill bit size, and to determine position for the stop collar on the drill bit.

lubricate drill bit

drill out hole at slow speed. Double check the diameter and depth using the recessed nut at frequent intervals, starting when you are less than 1/16" (1.5mm) in, just in case you picked the wrong drill bit.

If you really screw up, just purchase a new fork.
Why not just get the nutted variety? Much SAFER and less dollars if you have to purchase any tools.

Drill bit - sharp metal cutting bit; not Harbor Freight. McMaster, ENCO, MSC, Fastenal, and many others are good sources for good drill bits.

Stop collar - one that fits the bit you are using. A Harbor Freight set is fine. It just must not slip, adding some tape behind it will not hurt, and provides extra insurance (belt and suspenders).

(11-26-2014, 01:20 PM)greg3rd48 Wrote:  .....
I would like to do the same to my Peugeot U08 rebuild and equip it with modern brakes and calipers but I want to be sure of the type of drill bit that I should employ. Is there any particular type of bit of do I just use a standard hardened bit? Also what size bit collars should I get or should I just get a set of them?
Nigel
True but it seems that the R559 is the only dual pivot modern brake available in the nutted version. Do you know of any others? I really would prefer not to drill but I may give it a go on a beater first to avoid any grief over possible mishaps if I decide to go that route.

(11-26-2014, 05:45 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Why not just get the nutted variety? Much SAFER and less dollars if you have to purchase any tools.

Drill bit - sharp metal cutting bit; not Harbor Freight. McMaster, ENCO, MSC, Fastenal, and many others are good sources for good drill bits.

Stop collar - one that fits the bit you are using. A Harbor Freight set is fine. It just must not slip, adding some tape behind it will not hurt, and provides extra insurance (belt and suspenders).
First question to answer, is what reach do you need? No point in looking at brakes until you know the reach required for your bike.

The R559 55-73mm reach and R536 47-57mm reach are both available nutted; both through Amazon and other sources.
Nigel
I just posted a question regarding the you tube video out there for converting the recessed nut tektro stud with a nutted one from the companies lower end side pulls. I did this on a set of tektro quartz sidepulls I wanted to install on a vintage Ross (Ishawata 024)road frame. Apparently several of Tektros lower end brake studs are exact diameter and recessed head to the top end. Requires disassembling the brakes but the time spent was well worth it.
(The lower end were mentioned in the video..I ordered them by their model and the only id they have on em is 800A stamped in the back of the arms)
Thanks to Tektro USA I can pass on the fact that Tektro now offers a retro conversion kit (stud, and hardware) top convert their top line sidepulls to nutted versions. $19.95
(01-21-2015, 05:02 PM)Ranger1942 Wrote:  Thanks to Tektro USA I can pass on the fact that Tektro now offers a retro conversion kit (stud, and hardware) top convert their top line sidepulls to nutted versions. $19.95
What is the part number?
Thank you
Nigel
Nigel Tektro did not offer a part number If you contact Tektro USA and specify you want the retro conversion kit they'll probably e_mail you the link to the part and order page.
Here's the link Tektro sent me
http://tektro-usa.com/category.php?productid=1178&catid=190&subcat=0
(01-22-2015, 05:24 PM)Ranger1942 Wrote:  Here's the link Tektro sent me
http://tektro-usa.com/category.php?productid=1178&catid=190&subcat=0
Thank you
Nigel
While I have the floor.
Loose Screws has re-opened under new management.
This was (and again IS) the place to go for those odd (french thread whitworth thread)bits and pieces for your vintage bike
They now have a facebook page and a blog and no minimum order.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

04-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Last Post: mmm

03-11-2015, 01:19 AM
Last Post: eastman