Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the June Giveaway for a brand new Merida Matts 6.5 bicycle

Sealed Freehub
I have a muddfox bike and the cassette seemed to be getting stiff. I have now removed the cassette but the freehub appears to be a sealed part of the wheel and therefore I am not able to maintain it. Is this likely to be the case or am I just missing something. Thanks for any advice.
Some people have successfully added some time to their freehubs. They are expendable and can be unbolted from wheel and replaced.

AS per cleaning, unbolt it, flush it with a good cleaner , get it moving freely and than spray lubricant into it. Some can be taken apart. IMO with the labor and cleaners needed , its just easier to get a new one.

Do not know whats available in UK. I find automotive spray cleaners useful such as Gumout or Brake Clean (just be careful with paint) Follow manufacturers safety guide.
and a Teflon spray as lubricant.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/freehub-service
http://bikeride.com/freehub-body/
Never Give Up!!!
Hi Andy. George gave you some good links and thoughts.
Something that you want to pay attention to, though - that pic on the Park site that shows the body being removed from the drive-side? Some are also removed from the other side. On less-expensive hubs, some are not removable at all but those are rare. Others can be removed that are so obscure that you have No Idea how to find a replacement.

Andy - if you can provide more details on parts, we might have more info.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(02-16-2011, 09:15 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Some are also removed from the other side. On less-expensive hubs, some are not removable at all but those are rare. Others can be removed that are so obscure that you have No Idea how to find a replacement.
Yeah, the ones that come off from the "wrong" side seem to use an 11 mm hex instead of a 10. I've got a wheel that a guy sold me with a free freehub spare as he said I would never find one!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

01-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

05-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Last Post: mmontero