Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help me choose one of these repair stands
Over the weekend I bought 2 used repair stands, it is a long story why. One is Park Tool PRS-5 and the other PRS-12. I need to keep one of them. Can any experts here tell me which one I should keep in my garage? The 12 is more sturdy but not as portable. However I am not that mobile.
Quote:The 12 is more sturdy but not as portable. However I am not that mobile.

Sounds like you sort of answered your own question.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(01-31-2011, 07:12 PM)JohnV Wrote:  
Quote:The 12 is more sturdy but not as portable. However I am not that mobile.

Sounds like you sort of answered your own question.

My guess is I am leaning toward the 12 but thinking the 5 can be stored more easily. Since I am not doing much repair I am not sure which one should I keep. Also, if any of these can sell higher I probably let it go. I do not know the used market that well.
I would keep them both. One in the garage and one in the kitchen! Wink

Are you sure that the 12 is a PRS? I am only familiar with the PCS-12 that is a 'Bench Mount' model. Can also be mounted to a wall, etc.

The PRS-5 is one of the better 'portable' models that Park has offered. I would set this one up in the kitchen. Wink
It had the heavy-duty clamp that is on the pro-, or shop, models.

I would say - if you have a dedicated work area, keep the 12. If you like portability, keep the 5. Anything Park is good stuff and they don't skimp or cut corners.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(01-31-2011, 08:08 PM)RobAR Wrote:  I would keep them both. One in the garage and one in the kitchen! Wink

Are you sure that the 12 is a PRS? I am only familiar with the PCS-12 that is a 'Bench Mount' model. Can also be mounted to a wall, etc.

The PRS-5 is one of the better 'portable' models that Park has offered. I would set this one up in the kitchen. Wink
It had the heavy-duty clamp that is on the pro-, or shop, models.

I would say - if you have a dedicated work area, keep the 12. If you like portability, keep the 5. Anything Park is good stuff and they don't skimp or cut corners.

Here is the 12 which I can't find any info from the Web.
Nice free standing stand. PRS12.

IMO if you got to screw it down to keep it from falling over it aint a stand. :-))

This is the only photo I could find of the PRS5, guess they are older.

Very nice freestanding stand and folding for storage. I like it. For occasional use I'd keep this one. Its a win win for you.They both are nice.

http://www.spadout.com/p/park-tool-professional-race-stand-prs-5/
Never Give Up!!!
Yeah Park stands are great. You'll be happy with either one I'm sure. Portability is important, but personally I would go with the more sturdy one unless you really had some strong portable needs, which it sounds like you don't. I've not used the PCS-12, but if you can fold it up and put it away, or move it from one room to another well enough, I'd say you're good enough for portability and would keep the stability of that stand. If you're still not sure, why not try using both for a little while and then you'll figure out which one suits your needs best.
hello,
Just wondering how old the PRS-12 stands are?
what did they go for originally?

thanks

Greg

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-19-2022, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Criminal

09-16-2019, 07:16 PM