Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What did I do wrong?
Ok I'm trying to do a single speed conversion here and having a problem. I'm using one of the cog/lockring/spacer kits with a 14t cog. The chainline is straight and everything looks ok but when I took it out for a test ride I realized something was wrong. It feels as though the cog is not holding the chain. There is no tension. The chain is tight and everything else appears normal. Could it be something with the cog or lockring? Does it matter which side of the cog is facing the spacers. I know this isn't the problem cause I tried it both ways. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Does the cog spin forwards when you pedal? Describe what is happening a little better.
(12-27-2010, 09:46 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Does the cog spin forwards when you pedal? Describe what is happening a little better.

yes it does, but once I start pedaling it feels loose and slips.
(12-27-2010, 09:46 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Does the cog spin forwards when you pedal? Describe what is happening a little better.

could it be that I need a bigger cog? It's a 14t but I have seen other 14t cogs that are larger. I used the cog that came with the single speed conversion kit.
it kinda looks like you have it all the way at the end. it may be slipping off the notches. Try realigning your chain line. Start by moving your cog in one spacer, then if needed you can move your front chain ring.
Stand at a distance behind the bike.
Sight along the chainline and check that the chain is properly "inline" with the chainring.
Move the rear sprocket into a position that allows this.
(you could use a long straight edge to determine where the sprocket should be)

If this is not possible then you may have to move the chainring as well?

I'm not sure what your problem is, but if the chainring isn't reasonably round then the chain will go tight and slack with each revolution.
(12-27-2010, 10:44 PM)eorta7 Wrote:  could it be that I need a bigger cog? It's a 14t but I have seen other 14t cogs that are larger. I used the cog that came with the single speed conversion kit.

All 14T cogs are the same size unless you mean wider?.
If the cog is larger it's got more than 14T.
14 is a common size for single speed but there is no reason not to go larger if you want to.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
If you are using a spring chain tensioner to take up slack in the chain, it could be that the chain is slipping up over the top of the teeth in the cog. This can often show up especially if you put a new chain onto an old cassette cog. If so, probably need a new cog.

If you have no tensioner and the chain is just held tight between the front chainring and the cog, and it feels like the chain slips when you put pressure on it, it could be that the ratchet in the free hub is giving out.

Beyond that, I'd need more detailed explanation of what you are experiencing.
I'm not using a chain tensioner. I have set it up again and now have one spacer to the outside of the cog. Should it fit in tight? I will take it outside and give it a try.
Upon rereading this, it sounds like maybe you are describing the freehub slipping internally. If the the rear cog spins when you pedal, but it doesn't drive the wheel to turn, or if it is slipping and grabbing intermittently even though the chain is tight around the cogs, then the ratchet inside the hub may be worn out.

Possibly Related Threads...