Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

BMX freewheel, coaster brake
I have a spare rear 20" wheel with coaster brake (fat) hub. Can i pull the coaster brake innards out and still ride on the rim? (have rear v=brake on frame).
Not what ya mean
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I mean, is it possible to pull the coaster brake parts and lever arm off the rim and ride the wheel without it. I'd also like to pull the freewheel and switch it for a shimano 16 T or similar.

These kiddie rear wheels have funny freewheels with retainer clips around an outer flange that look like they can be pulled with a flat blade screwdriver. But before littering my floor with a lotta parts, maybe someone out there already knows how to do this....
(11-01-2010, 09:42 AM)sidmarx Wrote:  I mean, is it possible to pull the coaster brake parts and lever arm off the rim and ride the wheel without it. I'd also like to pull the freewheel and switch it for a shimano 16 T or similar.

These kiddie rear wheels have funny freewheels with retainer clips around an outer flange that look like they can be pulled with a flat blade screwdriver. But before littering my floor with a lotta parts, maybe someone out there already knows how to do this....

You could maybe experiment, I have never gone that far. It would probably easier to find an old BMX wheel not in use.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Coaster brake hubs don't have "freewheels" per say, but it is possible to get different sized cogs for them and change it out. But you need a cog specifically to fit a coaster hub. They are held on by that retaining clip and are different than freewheel, fixed, or cassette cogs.

You could remove some of the internal parts of the hub to take out the brake and use it. You just have to keep the parts that hold the axle bearings. Easiest thing would probably be just to take out the brake shoes and the exterior arm. Search for coaster brake exploded diagrams and you'll see what I mean.
10-4 to what Dave said. Here is a diagram link. Take notes, or better take photos as you dig in.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/coaster-hub-service-pedal-brake
Never Give Up!!!
Thanx a bunch, guys. I've already checked out 16 T sprockets on ebay and it sure beats tearing out those cheap chinese freewheels w. no splines.