Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rusty rims.
I have have some very rusty rims on this chopper bike that i found.
It looks like they where chromed before. It's only surface rust, but i'm not sure what to do.

Can I just grind it down and then paint it?

I want to do it without moving the spokes.

-Morten

I'm from Denmark so pardon my English.
Watch this video as it may show an easier methos because with grinding you may rake a chance of scarring up your wheel.... http://bikeride.com/rust-removal/
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
u found a bike? nice
search craigslist in your area for a person that does powdercoating. Then you can get them in any color.
(10-08-2010, 06:17 PM)FLMTBer Wrote:  search craigslist in your area for a person that does powdercoating. Then you can get them in any color.

Yes this is awesome answer, powder coat is sure nice Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
If this is a genuine Raleigh Chopper from the 70's, it could have a significant value, depending on condition. Search online for chopper sites and see what they say.
You could get the rims re-chromed, but this will mean dismantling.
Do not know how this became a Raleigh, since no one said it??

But anyway to clean rust from chrome wheels, if not totally shoot, use 0000 steel wool and Semichrome or Flitz paste. Its European made so you should be able to find it. . Afterwards you can decide if you want to paint them or not. If rim brakes paint is no good.

BTW for aluminum use brass steel wool as steel will embed itself in aluminum and rust.
Never Give Up!!!
I think trev was saying that if it was one?? Then it would be worth some mulah Smile !
(10-09-2010, 03:48 PM)Bill Wrote:  I think trev was saying that if it was one?? Then it would be worth some mulah Smile !

Thanks Bill
Ye 10-4 , English is a tricky language .

But, if it is a Schwinn it could be valuable.:-)))

ANNND another MIA poster leaving us debating among ourselves. Over and out.
Never Give Up!!!
(10-10-2010, 01:15 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  . . .ANNND another MIA poster leaving us debating among ourselves. Over and out.

Ha-ha, yup "post #1" and gone for 4 days and counting. How rude. Maybe Alex should charge a fee to sign up and then maybe they'll place a REAL value on what they get. Smile

It's completely opposite of other forums where if you post something someone else has asked before, people yell at you for not checking the forum's search engine first. We are the good guys! Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
A thought just occurred to me, ... maybe Alex should change the default email "thread subscription," or optional subscribe list to 'OFF' (see directly below post-reply window, not quick reply) so newbies are at least encouraged to come back to check replies. Then those of us who want to subscribe to a specific thread can chose to do so. It might help with the "missing" thing. Just a thought.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
As with my motorcycle list, people are always trying to fix things that aint broken.

This list works for those that are serious, the flybyes can go bye bye. Nothing is lost.:-)))
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-02-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: jeffg

12-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: brno

12-10-2016, 12:28 PM