Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Really cannondale - a few things need attention...
Hi all,

I recently bought and old cannondale hybrid - Im thinking 20years old?? really old school! (photo attached)

Im a little concerned now that Ive bought a lemon - and finding parts will be a problem. I read with interest another thread re- a Cannondale mountain bike about 10years old -- and it was suggested that parts shouldnt be a problem for that - but already Im having trouble with this bike. I should add that I dont have much experience with working on bikes other than changing the occasional flat tyre.

Ok. Anyway from what I can see that needs doing -

Headset - shakes and wobbles - needs replacing??
chain - rusted in place
rear cassette - not sure if needs replacing - but rust on surface.
tyres
new seat post - longer
new handle bars - rusted and no grips

Apart from all that it seems ok Smile ...frame nice - has done little work - but has been left out in the elements (Sweden) and componentry seems like its quality stuff - shimano 600 - its been a nice bike a long time ago. Hope to make it nice again.

My first project and question relates to the wheels.

The tyres are stamped "32 - 630 (27 x 11 1/4) to fit K2" on Mistral rims, havent found something suitable in home town, in shops people scratch heads, can someone suggest a good tyre that I can buy online - prefer UK website, that would suit?

Other problem is the hubs - Shimano 600 stamped HB-6207 - Im confused - been to shimano website - no info relating to that model number - guessing to old! - also wheel has suntour plastic thingy on the back of cassette - is it a suntour cassette ? What cassette can I buy for this? how do i find a part number? More photos attached.

Much thanks in advance,
(08-14-2010, 04:21 AM)sunshine71 Wrote:  Hi all,

I recently bought and old cannondale hybrid - Im thinking 20years old?? really old school! (photo attached)

Im a little concerned now that Ive bought a lemon - and finding parts will be a problem. I read with interest another thread re- a Cannondale mountain bike about 10years old -- and it was suggested that parts shouldnt be a problem for that - but already Im having trouble with this bike. I should add that I dont have much experience with working on bikes other than changing the occasional flat tyre.

Ok. Anyway from what I can see that needs doing -

Headset - shakes and wobbles - needs replacing??
chain - rusted in place
rear cassette - not sure if needs replacing - but rust on surface.
tyres
new seat post - longer
new handle bars - rusted and no grips

Apart from all that it seems ok Smile ...frame nice - has done little work - but has been left out in the elements (Sweden) and componentry seems like its quality stuff - shimano 600 - its been a nice bike a long time ago. Hope to make it nice again.

My first project and question relates to the wheels.

The tyres are stamped "32 - 630 (27 x 11 1/4) to fit K2" on Mistral rims, havent found something suitable in home town, in shops people scratch heads, can someone suggest a good tyre that I can buy online - prefer UK website, that would suit?

Other problem is the hubs - Shimano 600 stamped HB-6207 - Im confused - been to shimano website - no info relating to that model number - guessing to old! - also wheel has suntour plastic thingy on the back of cassette - is it a suntour cassette ? What cassette can I buy for this? how do i find a part number? More photos attached.

Much thanks in advance,

To do some further research on your bike try this site:

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/

See if you can get the serial number off the underside of the bottom bracket. There are catalogs on there as well.

It appears to be a nice bike. Good project.
Wow, Definitely worth restoring! I am one who thinks any bike can be restored but I do believe that almost everyone here will agree that this one is worth it. The crankset looks like Sugino?, your tyre size is 27" x 1 1/4" which are becoming rare sizes but still available, the brake system is made by DIA COMPE?, as far as the cassette/freewheel if you could clean out the stuff on the axle in the picture and get a closer view of the word "shimano" and any other words printed on there I could maybe help ID what it is, as far as the wheelset I did dig up this information which MAY NOT be the same but will give you a good little idea (they are very nice wheelsets!) ... http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=534f5b94-b38e-4d3b-988c-a0c0008f7da2, the deraillers I would clean up and lubricate if they are in great condition, your headset is just probably loose and if you wanted take it apart clean up the old grease, replace the bearings, and put it back together if nothing is damaged on the inside.
Bottom line: It looks like a very nice restore project, I would be honored to get my hands on something like that. Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(08-14-2010, 10:30 AM)Bill Wrote:  The crankset looks like Sugino?

Do you think every crankset looks like a Sugino? It's a Shimano Deore 2 with Biopace rings, I say that because you thought mine was a Sugino too. Smile

Definitely worth fixing up. Front and rear mechs look like Deore 2 too, so it has some decent quality components. I'd strip all the components, clean everything up as well as possible, carefully inspect the hub, headset and bottom bracket bearings and re-grease and reassemble or replace as necessary.
Great info - thanks fellas. Now Ive worked out its more that 20yrs old - sheesh - made in 1988 (21/01/88) and its a ST600. And yep they are biopace rings with shimano 600 hubs front and rear. Gear set detailed in catalogue.

I would like to be able to replace the rear cassette (uneven wear on some rear rings)- hubs spin ok ..but feel a little course .... does anyone know if current shimano cassettes will fit old 600 hubs? ID on hubs is HB -6207.

Thanks
(08-14-2010, 11:03 AM)xerxes Wrote:  
(08-14-2010, 10:30 AM)Bill Wrote:  The crankset looks like Sugino?

Do you think every crankset looks like a Sugino? It's a Shimano Deore 2 with Biopace rings, I say that because you thought mine was a Sugino too. Smile

Definitely worth fixing up. Front and rear mechs look like Deore 2 too, so it has some decent quality components. I'd strip all the components, clean everything up as well as possible, carefully inspect the hub, headset and bottom bracket bearings and re-grease and reassemble or replace as necessary.

The only reason I said Sugino was because (from the distance of the picture)they look like my schwinn's.... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1812.html and also KC-Steve's .... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1239.html . If you could enlighten me on how to tell the difference I would seriously appreciate it Smile .
Ahhh the sticker is one, and there are actually 3 rings instead of two?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Nice Bike I hope when u finish u can post few pictures good luck
few bikes
The freewheel is almost certainly a standard 6 speed screw on, easily replaced from about £10 up, removal of the old one may be a problem as it was probably the 2 notch type tool, which fails very quickly, but you can always dismantle it and knock it off with a hammer and chisel.

27" wheels tyres and tubes are still easily obtainable, especially in old style LBS.
The other bearings, and also the gear changers, will probably only need dismantling, cleaning out and regreasing, unless they are badly worn, but you should be able to replace in any case.
The chain will need replacing, which means you MAY have problems with the chainwheel if the teeth are badly worn.

I suggest you cultivate a relationship with your nearest old style LBS, they will offer advice and opinions if you buy from them and not on-line, may cost you a bit more in money, but save you lots more in time, it wont take them long to spot the problems and suggest whether it is worth saving.

Another look at the teeth on the freewheel, these don't look too bad, try running a new chain before you replace it, may be ok, and run some oil in first.
Quote:The only reason I said Sugino was because (from the distance of the picture)they look like my schwinn's.... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1812.html and also KC-Steve's .... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1239.html . If you could enlighten me on how to tell the difference I would seriously appreciate it Smile .

The only reason I'm so sure is that it's the same as mine, but yes, the Biopace sticker means it's likely to be Shimano cranks as well as rings.
(08-14-2010, 10:41 PM)xerxes Wrote:  
Quote:The only reason I said Sugino was because (from the distance of the picture)they look like my schwinn's.... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1812.html and also KC-Steve's .... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1239.html . If you could enlighten me on how to tell the difference I would seriously appreciate it Smile .

The only reason I'm so sure is that it's the same as mine, but yes, the Biopace sticker means it's likely to be Shimano cranks as well as rings.

Yea and this sorta REALLY cleared thing up for me Wink http://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Last Post: wdfboltonc

08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Last Post: KC-Steve

02-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Last Post: jr14