Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Crown Bearing Race Question
I am swapping a fork from a frame that has a Chris King Thread-less Headset to one that has a no name open bearing headset. I am having difficulty getting the crown race off of the fork that had the Chris king headset. It looks like it may have been threaded on??? is this something that is even done? I have minimal experience with suspension forks and headsets. The crown race on the other fork came off with a few taps of a screwdriver and a rubber mallet.

here is the crown race in question.
As far as I know, they are all press fit.
Thats what I was thinking, I'm still working on it. Any good tips on getting these loose when they are really stuck?
(08-03-2010, 11:56 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Any good tips on getting these loose when they are really stuck?

A bigger hammer. Smile

Seriously though, make sure it's clean and there's no grit or dirt, try a squirt of WD40. Other than that, try a proper crown race remover: http://www.icetoolz.biz/icetoolz/index_pro3.php?parent=55&id=293
(08-03-2010, 11:56 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Thats what I was thinking, I'm still working on it. Any good tips on getting these loose when they are really stuck?

Im sure you already know about this site but I will throw it in anyway, http://chrisking.com/tech/tech_FAQ . There is a link for owners manual as well. I honestly did not see any mention of a threaded on crown race. Try emailing them.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
You could try heating the race only with a pinpoint heat or if you have a soldering iron use that.
Alternative leave the race on the forks and get replacement this way you can put the fork back on if you choose.

I put on a rock shock forks on my MB and the race was pulled off the original fork. I have been thinking about swapping back for weight loss but now need to find a race or pull it off again with possible damage. Races are cheap.
Never Give Up!!!
Ok thanks everyone. I got it off. Apparently I just needed to use an actual hammer, I was using my rubber mallet but that wasn't doing it. I started using a real hammer and it came off. Yay.
Your welcome Smile . Glad to see it came off, as Surely says don't work get a bigger hammer!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...