Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tire ripping at rim
Hello

I have a problem with my rear wheel, it has been wobbling for a little while now. At first I thought it might need truing, but I do not see any noticeable side-to-side movement when I spin the wheel. Also the wobbling I have really feels as if the bike is moving up and down each time the wheel does a rotation, as opposed to side-to-side.

I also just noticed that the tire is starting to come apart at the seams in a couple of spots near the rim.

Could this ripping of the tire be related to my wheel wobbling? If so, is the ripping causing the wobbling or is it more likely to be a symptom of something else? Does anybody have any suggestions as to what could be going on here?

Thanks!

[attachment=1294]
Short and quick answer to your question: YES.
How to resolve the problem get a new tire.
As simple and easy as I can put it for ya. No way to fix that other then get a new tire.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I'm with Bill you need a new tire for sure and a tube as well. If you feel like you don't know how or don't know what to do then take it to a good bike shop and have them show you how to do it. You will need to know because some day you will have a flat tire on the road and you will have to fix it or walk home witch is no fun at all. After you get the new tire on make sure your rim is true side to side and up and down as well. If not take it to your bike shop and have them to fix it for you should cost no more than about 18 bucks. Good luck to you and let us know what you did to it or find.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Yes, the tire could be the cause of the wobble.

The real issue is why is your tire tearing. Check the brake pad alignment, it looks like it may be rubbing on the tire and wearing through. Then the weakened tire starts to bulge. Get a new tire and tube installed and then check for brake pad contact on the tire as it rotates.
Something else I wish to add If you don't take it to a Bike Shop is to check the sides of the wheel after the tire is off for burrs of metal on the inside and out using a cloth (that way you do not cut your hand if there is one).
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I'm curious how old or about how many miles were on the tire? Do you think it was impact damage or just wore out?
(08-07-2010, 09:27 PM)flyted Wrote:  I'm curious how old or about how many miles were on the tire? Do you think it was impact damage or just wore out?

Cant really say because the picture was not all that close, but I would have to guess that it was possible old. We always called weather cracking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post