Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

New chain slips on last gear, but only at first!
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I just replaced my chain as it was slipping, it had one cluster almost broken. When I shift the new chain on the heaviest gear (High, 7) it doesn't engage immediately like before. After a few seconds it engages and then it starts slipping until it 'sort of' settles down. Then works fine. But every time I shift in the heaviest gear it slips for the first few pedals.

Cheers!
Probably http://bikeride.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/
or chain wear (old one) wore down the cassette sprockets
Thanks for your reply. Today I cleaned my chain and sprockets. I noticed that a tooth is like bent, not parallel to the other teeth on the last gear sprocket. I also noticed that the 6th one has one missing tooth. So I will just replace the rear cassette sprocket with a new one.

One last question... I have a 21-speed mountain bike. Since I'm doing this replacement, is it possible to upgrade to a 24-speed without making many other mods? Thanks again
(04-16-2010, 08:07 AM)orion_rst Wrote:  Thanks for your reply. Today I cleaned my chain and sprockets. I noticed that a tooth is like bent, not parallel to the other teeth on the last gear sprocket. I also noticed that the 6th one has one missing tooth. So I will just replace the rear cassette sprocket with a new one.

One last question... I have a 21-speed mountain bike. Since I'm doing this replacement, is it possible to upgrade to a 24-speed without making many other mods? Thanks again

You are more then likely going to have to get a 8spd rear derailler and shifter. Also I am not sure but I am thinking a new chain as well. If you are going to spend money make sure it is worth upgrading the bike over just getting a new one. I recently had to remove a 6spd cassette from a previous upgrade someone thought they could make a 15spd MTB in to a 18spd by doing the same thing.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thing you have to update:
  • rear derailleur (likely)
  • front derailleur (could maybe get away with old one)
  • crank set (at least all chain rings)
  • maybe replace hub while you're at it
  • cassette
  • hub (replace old wheel or get new one)
  • shifters (if shifter - break combo: also probably breaks, cantis and v-breaks use different levers)
  • chain
It might be feasible to upgrade to a halfway recent (not older than 3-4 yr) 9 speed rear. Some shops sell old (last year or older) equipment really cheap. Hub, crankset and shifters will be most costly.

Edit: Your description sounds as if the chainrings would be shot too. So you'll have to spend some money anyway (chainrings / crankset, cassette, chain).
Thanks a lot guys.

So it's not worth upgrading it then. It's just a basic 21-speed mountain bike with a simple Revo-Shift Smile. But for the disastrous roads in my country (Malta, Europe) and the high probability of getting hit by a car (yes it's true, worst drivers in the world after the Sicilians!), better have a bike not to worry much about. I mean I just take care if it the best I can thanks to this website.
(04-16-2010, 11:58 PM)orion_rst Wrote:  Thanks a lot guys.

So it's not worth upgrading it then. It's just a basic 21-speed mountain bike with a simple Revo-Shift Smile. But for the disastrous roads in my country (Malta, Europe) and the high probability of getting hit by a car (yes it's true, worst drivers in the world after the Sicilians!), better have a bike not to worry much about. I mean I just take care if it the best I can thanks to this website.

Hi orion,
Just wanted to give a little inspiration to ya. When you have a bike that runs good it does not last forever Sad . Restoring a bike is really a fine thing to do. You can replace the parts at a low cost. Bringing a bike back to life is very simple and only requires minimal tools and parts. Some oil, some grease, some tools, couple replacement parts, and some t.l.c. (tender,love,and care) your bike will run good if not better then new. Here in this thread ... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-995.html you see a bike that I pulled from a farmers field. This bike is probably one of the most lowest end Mountain Bikes you can get. It took me a while to totally restore to its newer life state in a month (would have been sooner time was my enemy). To be honest I am really proud of the job I did. Anyone here will agree that it does not matter what make/model bike you have as long as you are happy with it then that is all that matters.
Everything you need is here on the website and everyone including me will answer any question posted if the answer is known.

Cheers and good luck,
Bill Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
It is fairly common to find that when you replace a chain it doesn't work well with the worn teeth on your sprocket and chainwheel and you end up replacing the lot, have a look at the teeth on both, if they are getting "pointy" they will almost certainly need changing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Joe_W

07-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

06-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: BingoBilly