Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Super lube vs. Mobil 1 vs. Kendall
Looking for others opinions/advice on this. I watched many of Alex's tutorials on the site (excellent, very helpful by the way).

I have an old Fuji Suncrest MTB (circa 1991) that my parents got for me when I graduated college. This is pretty much the parts mine has http://www.anthonyalsberg.com/bike_spec/92_93/suncrest.html except that my rims are Ritchey (presta valve) and the headset says Ritchey Logic. It had seen many miles of recreational light trail/mud and some commuting use over the years. It also did a long stretch of not much use. It was always in either a shed or the garage not left in open areas. A bunch of years back I had taken most of the parts (headset, crank shaft, wheel bearings) apart and re-greased everything but it is now time to do it again. The bike still works well but I need to put some time & money into it so I can safely ride it more again.

On Alex's video he uses a clear Super Lube. I think I had used either Kendall super blue bearing grease or Mobil 1 (red colored) grease for grease guns. How do these compare viscosity/protection/resistance wise. Whichever grease it was would more than likely have been the same one I used for my car wheel bearings etc. which might be overkill for the MTB or maybe it's the same? I'll probably try to take all apart again with my son so he can help and learn. I'm very mechanically inclined and like projects like this. Just want to make sure I use something that would be best for this bike.

We just bought my 9 year old a 26" Schwinn Frontier GSX for his birthday. He likes to ride around the block a lot with his friends as well as his boy scout troop does camping trips that have mountain bike trails that we have done a couple times. I need to get my bike back in good shape so I can keep up with him (and my 6 year old daughter).
Hi
I have a 1982 BMW motorcycle and am on the airheads list. There is constant discussion there about best oils and greases. Motorcycles are harder on those lubricants.

IMO Just about any grease you have for automotive use is OK. I like to use Bel Ray waterproof grease. Synthetic greases like Mobil 1 are very good. If you just did the job you are fine, unless you want entertainment.

Ye for racing some specialty greases like teflon may have a slightly lower friction coefficient.

Some greases may not be compatible with each other so stick with one good brand.
Never Give Up!!!
As far as grease George is correct that automotive grease with water repelling properties is good. I'm no expert but the idea is to keep the bearings and moving parts from getting water into them and rusting and friction. Just do not use vaseline! As crazy as that sounds I have of people using it. Stay away from that kind of thing.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-11-2010, 10:32 AM)Bill Wrote:  As far as grease George is correct that automotive grease with water repelling properties is good. I'm no expert but the idea is to keep the bearings and moving parts from getting water into them and rusting and friction. Just do not use vaseline! As crazy as that sounds I have of people using it. Stay away from that kind of thing.

When we was little we use to wipe our cables with vaseline before we installed them,it worked good but no were near as good as modern lubes.
+1 to George's comments. The bicycle environment is so low stress compared to a car that any grease is fine. BUT, bike bearings can be exposed to a lot more moisture due to worse seals, etc. I'd say water resistance is probably the most important of the factors you list. But I wouldn't know how to rate the various greases you mention.
And also the mobil 1 grease is great,i use mobil 1 xhp 222 for bearings and xhp 322 for general use one is blue and the other grey
I haven't used White Lithium Grease on my bike yet, but that's what I'll use. It's thinner than the multi purpose Lithium grease. It seems to me that this is the closest thing to bicycle grease that I can find and until I'm totally convinced that WLG doesn't work, I'll stick with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-20-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BaBaBiker

10-23-2020, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jesper

05-31-2020, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Joe_W