Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Truing bladed spokes
On my Zipp 404, when I'm trying to true the wheel, and I'm turning the nipples, some of the bladed spokes twist with the nipples. Is there a way to keep the spokes from twisting like that?
Thanks,
James
(04-03-2010, 01:16 PM)James_in_Utah Wrote:  On my Zipp 404, when I'm trying to true the wheel, and I'm turning the nipples, some of the bladed spokes twist with the nipples. Is there a way to keep the spokes from twisting like that?
Thanks,
James

Do not know if you watched this video or not but Alex has a good explanation and tips ....
http://bikeride.com/wheel-truing/
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks for this post. It made me realize I lost my bladed spoke tool.Big Grin

I was going to take a pic of it, but now I can't find it.

All I did was take an old cheap stubby flathead screwdriver, and used a cutting wheel on the dremel to cut a channel out of the side to hold the blades still while truing. It doesn't hold a large length of the spoke like the commercial ones do, nor does it give you multiple sizes to choose from, but if you're only doing this for your bike, it shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure to deburr the cut so you don't scratch the finish on your spokes.

I GIMP'ed a photo to illustrate. See attached. It's not very good, but it gives you the idea.

Just make sure you hold the spoke close to the nipple, as this is where the highest concentration of twisting forces occur.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
I watched the video. That was excellent. He recommends putting a drop of oil on the nipples. I tried that and it didn't seem to help very much. I'll try looking for a tool I can modify to hold the spoke while I turn the nipple. I was thinking I should probably detension the whole wheel, apply some oil, and then retension it.
(04-04-2010, 10:25 AM)James_in_Utah Wrote:  I watched the video. That was excellent. He recommends putting a drop of oil on the nipples. I tried that and it didn't seem to help very much. I'll try looking for a tool I can modify to hold the spoke while I turn the nipple. I was thinking I should probably detension the whole wheel, apply some oil, and then retension it.

get a tension meter then. Make sure you do it right.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
I took a small block of wood (2cm x 1.5cm x 5cm) and made a slit in one of the 1.5x5 face. I use this to hold the spoke while turning the nipple with the Spokey.
(04-05-2010, 05:51 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I took a small block of wood (2cm x 1.5cm x 5cm) and made a slit in one of the 1.5x5 face. I use this to hold the spoke while turning the nipple with the Spokey.

I was able to use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the spokes while turning. I also found it worked best to release some tension on the spoke before trying to tighten it even further. Thanks for the suggestions!
James

Possibly Related Threads...