Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

GT Triple Triangle?
Good point I guess I should have stated that sticking with 135mm frame spacing one could use just about any 135mm hub. That is without spreading the frame out.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ok update!
This is what I have coming or have already
Pair of RAPID FIRE PLUS
M550 hubs 32h and 32h
M550 Front derailler and rear derailler
M550 Triple crank set 110bcd 175mm 26/36/46 square taper
Will order UN-55 length to determined.
The hg/ig upgrade hub
And chain?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I like SRAM chains; because of the master link.
Nigel
I just wanted to share this video because we were talking about "cold setting"... http://youtu.be/bXI5DleUH-c . Guy is pretty good!
Quote:I like SRAM chains; because of the master link.

And because SRAM chains wear out so fast, it's handy to be able to change them quickly. Tongue
Ok a little update. Everything is slowly coming together. Do have a question on gearing.
Per say 11-28 cassette and a 26-36-52 were combined. Now when the 3rd 52t was active and the lower 5-6-7 on the cassette was used this would create an EXTREMELY hard gear range, thus enabling the rider to hammer down on flat terrain??
(08-24-2012, 11:14 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ok a little update. Everything is slowly coming together. Do have a question on gearing.
Per say 11-28 cassette and a 26-36-52 were combined. Now when the 3rd 52t was active and the lower 5-6-7 on the cassette was used this would create an EXTREMELY hard gear range, thus enabling the rider to hammer down on flat terrain??
52-11 - down a steep hill with a tailwind, and a Cougar chasing you. Smile

I am a really slow pedaller (big slow moving legs), and do occassionally use 52-13 on my SR on a very smooth road, slightly down hill with a 15mph tail wind.

My GT has 28-38-48 in front with a 11-30 cassette; even 48-11 is overkill for commuting.

Sorry, I forgot, are you going to use your GT on trails with knobbies or on pavement with slicks? If slicks, the 52 front chainring might be useable. If knobbies, I'd swap it for a 42, 44 or 46.
Nigel
Ok was just wandering. See I have the 46 and the 52 but I'll probably go with the 52 because I like to know it is there if the need for speed is warranted :d. "captain I'm giving you all she has, anymore and shell blow!". Quoted from Star Trek, always wanted to say that. As far as tires I'm thinking of running some sort of narrow slick/offroad tread. Yeah me wants to be able to kick in the NOS LMAO.
Man I am stumped! I am trying to use this spokcalc and I am having one heckuva time Sad . I tried to find the Shimano Deore LX HB-M550 (Rear Hub) and the Deore LX FH-M550 (Front Hub). Both are 32holes. Reason I need to know is because I want to order spokes and the two rims. The brand name of each we can discuss later but I need to know length??? Oh it will be 26" rim .
Hi Bill;

I use the express (light?) version of Spoc calc from Sheldon's site, and measure the hubs that I use.
Nigel
(08-31-2012, 12:49 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Hi Bill;

I use the express (light?) version of Spoc calc from Sheldon's site, and measure the hubs that I use.

Nigel I downloaded the xls one offered from his site. After I opened the excel spreadsheet it has choices of hubs and rims. But being what I have is not listed model you are saying to measure OLD (which is 135mm) and the center of one flange to the other correct? Also I noticed on the spoke measurements it has different sizes for 1,2, & 3 cross. 3 is what I should go with if I read correctly as it is a standard choice?
Erm ok I stand corrected lol. There is a light version with no hubs or rim reference in it. I will try to get the out put.
Hi Bill;

3 cross is generally the best for 32h, 36h and 40h.
Nigel
(09-01-2012, 01:36 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Hi Bill;

3 cross is generally the best for 32h, 36h and 40h.

Ok awesome I will put in my figures here before I order the stuff! Smile

EDIT: I did try to search for the models I have on Shimano but couldn't find anything? If you have a link PLEASE share it with me. Big Grin
Hello Bill, Nigel, This may or may not help, First off I am proud of you Bill going for it and taking your time! Measure thrice and purchase once when it comes to wheels, most important have rims in hand and measure proper dia.
I have dug around under the bed and pulled out some shimano pre Paralax hubs as follows. I would assume only, hoping not to make an ass out of you and me that yours may be the same. With that said see if these two are in the database you are using
LX HB-m560 46mm Flange Front
LX FH-m560 54mm Flange Rear

DX HB-m650 46mm Flange Front
DX FH-m650 54mm Flange Rear

Note: have Hubs a wheels measure correctly is your best bet.
then order spokes.these measurements are of the the flange and not from spoke hole center to center
so if your front and rear measure as mine and they are in the database you will be fine, but have your wheels in hand and measure first before running the calculator
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(09-01-2012, 04:37 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Hello Bill, Nigel, This may or may not help, First off I am proud of you Bill going for it and taking your time! Measure thrice and purchase once when it comes to wheels, most important have rims in hand and measure proper dia.
I have dug around under the bed and pulled out some shimano pre Paralax hubs as follows. I would assume only, hoping not to make an ass out of you and me that yours may be the same. With that said see if these two are in the database you are using
LX HB-m560 46mm Flange Front
LX FH-m560 54mm Flange Rear

DX HB-m650 46mm Flange Front
DX FH-m650 54mm Flange Rear

Note: have Hubs a wheels measure correctly is your best bet.
then order spokes.these measurements are of the the flange and not from spoke hole center to center
so if your front and rear measure as mine and they are in the database you will be fine, but have your wheels in hand and measure first before running the calculator

So it is ok to order a rim? I can wait on the spokes as you stated I'm not in a hurry.
OH by the way what is a good rim? Araya or suggestions are welcome! Smile
Rims - LOTs of good one out there.

Alex Adventurer on my GT Triple was a very easy build - true and smooth brake surfaces.
SUN CR-18 for my 310 are also great, a little bit narrower.
Velocity Dyad that I just got for the T50 (already built wheel) is great too.

Most of my future wheel builds will probably be Sun CR-18 - very good cost and width for 28 to 45+mm wide tires. The Dyad is the same width, stronger and almost double the cost. Most of my tires will be in the 28 to 40mm range.

The Alex Adventurer is a bit wider, 50mm tires are fine on them. For wider, the Alex DM24 and Sun Ryhno lite.

These are all relatively low priced rims - the Alex and Sun are around $30- each, the Dyad around $50. "The Dyad uses the same extrusion as the Aeroheat"

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-CR-18-32-hole-Polished-fits/dp/B001CJXBHC/ref=sr_1_4?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1346552256&sr=1-4&keywords=26
http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Alloy-2-00-Ryno-Silver/dp/B000AO5H3G/ref=sr_1_3?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1346552256&sr=1-3&keywords=26
http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Adventurer-Black-Silver-Sidewall/dp/B001F307UO/ref=sr_1_14?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1346552256&sr=1-14&keywords=26
http://www.amazon.com/RIM-ALY-ALEX-26x1-5-DM24/dp/B0045Q5KVE/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1346552681&sr=1-3&keywords=Alex+DM24
http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-559mm-Black-Silver-Sides/dp/B001PT9VXW/ref=sr_1_6?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1346552414&sr=1-6&keywords=26

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp
Nigel
@PK Thank you for the compliments Big Grin .

@Nigel Now I do recall we were all talking of the possible problem of the U-Brake hitting the side surface!

*Am I going to have to take that into consideration on the type of wheel build math or no? In my adventure of reading (lots of it lol) I did not see anyone stating about that problem.

Minor news - I also asked about using roller cam brakes instead of U-Brakes on the back. Forget the roller cam because the ones I went after well someone else needs more then I lmao. So it is u-brake.
(09-03-2012, 08:24 AM)Bill Wrote:  .....@Nigel Now I do recall we were all talking of the possible problem of the U-Brake hitting the side surface!

*Am I going to have to take that into consideration on the type of wheel build math or no? In my adventure of reading (lots of it lol) I did not see anyone stating about that problem.
U-brake, V-brake, whatever rim brake has no effect on the wheel build. I saw a bunch of U-brakes on ebay last night when searching "front". Amazon also has some.
Nigel
Ok Nigel I looked at rims and I am kinda drawn to the Alex DM-24's Big Grin . Now are they Double wall?
I saw the Adventurer is Double wall.
After going to Alex Rims (http://www.alexrims.com) website this is the data I pulled from the DM-24 rims...
DM24

Features
Wide profile (32mm)
Superior strength
Optional SSE & CSW
Pin joint 32, 36 holes, silver/black
26"-660g, ERD 543.6mm (21.4016inches), ETRTO 559mm(22.0079inch)X24mm(0.944882inch)
Listed as a Downhill/Trial rim.
And the Adventurer is another choice (although Niagra will charge 9% tax!!).
ADVENTURER (XC MTB)

Features
Double wall design, Racer's edge
technology, Optional SSE

Tech Spec
Pin joint, 32 or 36 holes, silver/black W/CSW
26"-545g, ERD 540.3mm, ETRTO 559X18mm

Choices are one of those two??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tino