Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

GT Triple Triangle?
Ok I am not too sure of the name of this bike but it was built with higher end parts in its day...
Last pics added here
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I have that bike, actually you'll see it in most of the tutorial videos, just painted brown. Solid frame!
No kidding? AWESOME! So it is worth fixing up Alex?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Sure! See if it's made out of chromoly, then it's definitely worth fixing. I think some of that style were made out of high-tensile steel which is not the greatest.

I got my frame from the recycling pile behind our shop, so I had to find components for it. The only option for a rear brake is a U-brake, but I personally think those work great anyways (looks like you might need a few replacement parts). I'll do a tutorial on adjusting u-brakes soon Smile
I would like to know where do you find all these kool looking bikes from. If this keeps on you are going to have some of the real kool bikes out here. While you are at it when you get these bike you MUST always redo them. And what camera do you use it really takes nice pic. I need a camera here real bad.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
@Alex ok that's definitely good information to know. As far as the u-brake and some of the back there looks like it was burnt and melted. That would be really a good help on the U brake tutorial. The rear derailler looks bent a little too. Of course there are other pieces I need to repair or replace as well. Can you tell me if the freewheel is suntour?

@Surly the Camera I use is a Canon DC-330 Digital Cam/Dvd Recorder with 2000 zoom. I have a 16gig SDCard. It works really well except for inside pictures, probably has to do with the lighting level and settings in the camera. Not sure of how many Megapixels it has. Other then that I just use it lol.
Alrighty then! Now this very bike is on my work stand! I decided tonight that it was time to get into restore mode. As any restorer I did an assessment and inspection before project GT Terra was in progress.
Frame - No cracks, dings, dents, etc.! As Alex said to check it is in fact CrMo.
Wheelset - Definitely salvageable and they are Araya Japanese Narrow Wall?.
Handle bars (Headset) - Star-Fangled nut.

Here is where I think I may run into problems and would like a little assistance. The drive train!
Front derailler - I fear it will not be recondition as it seems frozen.
Rear derailler - Bent up so can't really recondition it. It is attached to the frame not the axle bolt.
Shifters - Would like to recondition but can not do an assessment because of frozen deraillers.
Brakes - Well at least the U-Brake is going to be challenging! It does move at the caliper parts but not sure if I can find a replacement?

On the rear derailler I wish to state that the hanger has not been bent for sure!

So again please through in input.
Bill;

Except for color, looks a lot like mine: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3167.html Mine has the same pink and purple Tange sticker as yours, and the paint pattern is very close or identical.

I got FD and RD from Crosslake Sales on ebay - very good to deal with: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cycling-/7294/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_ssn=CrosslakeSales

I really like the M413 FD, especially for $0.99 plus shipping. The Alivo RD was a little bit more.

I have no idea what brakes were on the bike originally, but the Origin 8 V brakes fit fine and work great - and for $8 each on Amazon......

I went cheap on the cranks (28-38-48), and the recommended 123mm BB is too long; I can use the smallest cog front and rear with no issues, but using the biggest rear cog with the middle front results in too much chain angle. 118mm would have been better.

Bill; you, Alex and I should meet up somewhere with our cro-mo GT triples Smile
Nigel
you will have your hands full with this resto. the biggest issue I see will be cost, but thats up to you of course. the v-brakes Nigel suggested work for him but will not work for you. your bike will have to use the style of rear brake it has on it now and they are real hard to find. maybe a bmx style may work if the post spread is the same. some manufacturers would put those brakes under neath behind the BB.
V-brake/cantilver posts are lower and not above the rim surface. the rest of the bike you may do what you want but the rear brakes you are stuck or cut off and weld new posts for newer style brakes, and repaint
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-04-2012, 01:18 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  Bill;

Except for color, looks a lot like mine: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3167.html Mine has the same pink and purple Tange sticker as yours, and the paint pattern is very close or identical.

I got FD and RD from Crosslake Sales on ebay - very good to deal with: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cycling-/7294/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_ssn=CrosslakeSales

I really like the M413 FD, especially for $0.99 plus shipping. The Alivo RD was a little bit more.

I have no idea what brakes were on the bike originally, but the Origin 8 V brakes fit fine and work great - and for $8 each on Amazon......

I went cheap on the cranks (28-38-48), and the recommended 123mm BB is too long; I can use the smallest cog front and rear with no issues, but using the biggest rear cog with the middle front results in too much chain angle. 118mm would have been better.

Bill; you, Alex and I should meet up somewhere with our cro-mo GT triples Smile

Ok I was looking at what you said on the FD and RD. Guess I should have stated that both are Suntour Deraillers RD 7spd and FD is a Triple Ring. There are two options on those for me. First try to locate the same ones on the web. Second just buy new compatible ones. If I get new ones I will have to change over the shifters as well. Not sure about going with the older stuff but something did catch my eye! If you watch a couple of different of Alex's vids his has a Deore LX? FD and the RD is a Deore LX too. Now what I have to find out is which model numbers those are. Going this way I will have to upgrade the shifters to Rapid Fires!?

@painkiller
Yes its gonna be a job! As far as the U-Brake I already found a couple listed which in your statement will work even if they are "BMX". I remove the rear wheel to find out if it was freewheel or Cassette Freehub. It's freewheel by Suntour (used my FR-3 Parktool to remove it.).
So right now really need to find out what model of Deore LX to get.

EDIT: I changed my mind I will probably use a different type of 7spd x 3spd shifter set!
Bill if you desire the rapidfire shifters and you have a 7speed st-m563
Is what you seek. best mated with a ramped rear cluster for smoother shifting.
or roll with some top mount DeoreDx, DeoreII, or DeoreXT. If you do not have these laying around they are quite often a pricey find. These components choices may be a bit extreme and costly for a bike you just want to get back to usable condition. The cheapest way would be to go gripshift and lower end derailluers. try to seek out the exage groups of derailluers Exage 200, 400 or 500 these will work well and keep the bike of "ERA" even if not original equippment. this would include the STI push push shifters as a option when searching for components.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Shimano-Deore-LX-Rear-Derailleur-w-Medium-Cage-GS-/390378992792?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae466b498#ht_1700wt_1186
this is what you are wanting and it can cost, but this dude is a little high in my opinion for now, but a sweet one no doubt
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-04-2012, 09:13 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Bill if you desire the rapidfire shifters and you have a 7speed st-m563
Is what you seek. best mated with a ramped rear cluster for smoother shifting.
or roll with some top mount DeoreDx, DeoreII, or DeoreXT. If you do not have these laying around they are quite often a pricey find. These components choices may be a bit extreme and costly for a bike you just want to get back to usable condition. The cheapest way would be to go gripshift and lower end derailluers. try to seek out the exage groups of derailluers Exage 200, 400 or 500 these will work well and keep the bike of "ERA" even if not original equippment. this would include the STI push push shifters as a option when searching for components.

True. LX groupset is pretty pricey but this bike is gonna be for me and a new commuter/workbike. So if it takes me time to get the parts it is no big deal. See it this way.. Would you fix this bike up or fix up a mongoose? As far as the shifters I like the friction ones anyways Wink. So you say a st-m563 will work?
Holy Cow! I date that ZOOM stem at 1993 latest offering> I date the bike about '89 or '91 when thet were Red.
The Outpost was GTs entry-level MTB for the longest time. Bill - you have a very pristine speciman of a very capable bike. This was made at a time when GT was still G T, if you know what I mean. Do a 'search' for Gary Turner for the whole story!
'All Terra' was just ugly added graphics that were popular at the time. You have a GT Outpost in pristine condition - so say. Bring her back. Just don't count on a return on the investment.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Will a lx 550 fd/rd work on this bike?
(08-04-2012, 09:38 PM)Bill Wrote:  Will a lx 550 fd/rd work on this bike?

FD & RD are pretty universal.

You have to decide if you are doing a restoration, or an updated rider. Mine is not a restoration.

Shifters - LOTS of choices; any derailleur will work with friction shifters; indexed (trigger, grip or lever) require a certain amount of matching, though just about any Shimano will work with Shimano or Shimano compatible shifters.
Nigel
(08-04-2012, 05:53 PM)painkiller Wrote:  you will have your hands full with this resto. the biggest issue I see will be cost
Bob. It's a GT Outpost! I would do it if I was starting all over ; and so would you and you know it! If it wasn't for finding STX-RC stuff that you hid from your wife in 1997, under oily rags, in the bottom of a drawer, in a cabinet in the garage, not opened in years, what would you do? Put that thang back in Service on the easy side is what I would do. Take time.
(08-04-2012, 09:56 PM)RobAR Wrote:  
(08-04-2012, 05:53 PM)painkiller Wrote:  you will have your hands full with this resto. the biggest issue I see will be cost
Bob. It's a GT Outpost! I would do it if I was starting all over ; and so would you and you know it! If it wasn't for finding STX-RC stuff that you hid from your wife in 1997, under oily rags, in the bottom of a drawer, in a cabinet in the garage, not opened in years, what would you do? Put that thang back in Service on the easy side is what I would do. Take time.
Put me on the chopping block again! you guys asked so here it is, I would wish it were a Karakoram and not an outpost. I compare the outpost to about the level of say around a 2000 model palomar. I have one in the stable and consider it a user and just a bike. If Bill is serious about the deore compononts we discussed, i would say no, find another more worthy specimen. Mine looks pretty good has better brakes and wheels and such but will never see any of my valued high end components that I have had stashed under my bed. (quit telling people that , I do not want Bill to know That I have most everything he needs) Smile But.. do what it takes to make it a good runner, have fun and do not get to deep in the pocket with it. I admit i am selfish and I need all those juicy parts still on the planet so you would be helping me By not using them. Smile
Sorry guys didn't mean start a debate lol. This is probably one of the finest bikes I have in my fleet. Putting a little money into her is something I have planned as I do love the CroMo frames. As far as getting anything back well probably won't. So PK you have some deore parts under your bed eh?? lol.
(08-04-2012, 10:34 PM)painkiller Wrote:  
(08-04-2012, 09:56 PM)RobAR Wrote:  
Put me on the chopping block again! you guys asked so here it is, I would wish it were a Karakoram and not an outpost. I compare the outpost to about the level of say around a 2000 model palomar. I have one in the stable and consider it a user and just a bike. If Bill is serious about the deore compononts we discussed, i would say no, find another more worthy specimen. Mine looks pretty good has better brakes and wheels and such but will never see any of my valued high end components that I have had stashed under my bed. (quit telling people that , I do not want Bill to know That I have most everything he needs) Smile But.. do what it takes to make it a good runner, have fun and do not get to deep in the pocket with it.
I think your message got cut off rob

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tino