Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Presta 26" Slime Tubes
Was thinking of getting some of these for the bike.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of them, are they worth getting over a normal tube and have you noticed a difference in the amount of punctures or lack of once you fitted them ?
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
I would be interested in hearing about those as well.

I can tell you from experience that Slime does work extremely well for my lawn tractor. I have 2" thorns on some land and have to keep it mowed. Needless to say, the thorns tend to flatten any tire but not since I filled the tractor tires with Slime. (well not "filled" just added Slime)

I'm thinking it would also work well in bicycle tires. But would also be interested in whether they have any impact on a tire's balance because a road bike will be moving much faster than a lawn tractor. They don't recommend Slime for cars so . . . what about a bicycle? Maybe Slime bike tubes are a different formula.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I asked about those a couple months ago here, but a good topic to bring up to keep us all reminded Smile ...

http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-30.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Sorry to repost an old thread, I'm new to the forum, never knew it was here and glad I found it as it's a great resource for people like me who want to learn more to maintain their own bikes.

I sometimes get little thorn punctures and just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help so I'm not stranded miles away from home with a flat.
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
(03-10-2010, 04:13 PM)surreypete Wrote:  Sorry to repost an old thread, I'm new to the forum, never knew it was here and glad I found it as it's a great resource for people like me who want to learn more to maintain their own bikes.

I sometimes get little thorn punctures and just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help so I'm not stranded miles away from home with a flat.

Aww don't be sorry pete. Asked questions until you do not have any more to asked Smile . That is what this forum is here for. Welcome by the way.

As far as thorns well yeah they can be a thorn lol. There are kevlar enforced tires, thorn resistant, and some I came across last year that was VERY thick! If you don't have an LBS there is Amazon and other online stores that sometimes have deals.

Cheers,
Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I have use them before but I don't see them as being any better than reg tubes if you have to let any air out then you lose your slime so to me its a waste.And the tubes don't cost any more than the reg tubes do if that helps.Oh and Welcome to the forum.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
I've stuck a pair of slime 26" inner tubes on the bike when I did all the repairs to it, luckily so far I haven't had any punctures and they seem to hold up quite well, I did have a slight problem when I first put them in, the presta valve had some dried slime on it and wasn't sealing properly but I sorted that out and they seem fine.

Also if you want to add air to them you have to make sure the valve is at the top of the wheel otherwise some of the slime comes out when undo the presta valve.
Punctures? I always carry 2 spare inner tubes, on-road or off.
+ tire levers & pump.
Make sure that you remove the thorn or whatever caused the puncture before fitting the spare.
As far as I'm aware you can't repair a slime tube???
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(04-19-2010, 12:32 PM)surreypete Wrote:  I've stuck a pair of slime 26" inner tubes on the bike when I did all the repairs to it, luckily so far I haven't had any punctures and they seem to hold up quite well, I did have a slight problem when I first put them in, the presta valve had some dried slime on it and wasn't sealing properly but I sorted that out and they seem fine.

Also if you want to add air to them you have to make sure the valve is at the top of the wheel otherwise some of the slime comes out when undo the presta valve.

In addition to what cycler says..
If you get a flat, spin the tire a few times around. Position the tire at the 4:00 position to add air after you left it sit for a minutes or two. Then ride it a little bit and see if it seals. If this does not work then there is probably a "tear" in it known as a snake bite or pinch flat. Impossible to repair, best to replace the tube. Be prepared to do a little cleaning on the inside tire and rim.
I'm running tubes with something called true-goo. I have heard though, but can't say for certain, that slime doesn't work at pressures over say 80psi. I now have ultra gatorskin tires and might just settle for thorn-proof tubes rather than slime tubes, next time. I'm not sure that I would be comfortable with a tube that went flat and that I re-inflated. I think actually I'd rather replace the tube, each time. Hopefully the puncture resistant tires will handle most of the flat problems. I've only had one flat in 5,000 miles of riding, the past 10 months. I replaced the tire and the tube immediately. Just an opinion not an authoritative reply.
I like the Specialized Armadillo kevlar reinforced tyres for our glass strewn streets. I purchased a rear after suffering repeated punctures - the tyre was obviously shot - and then a front just for the hell of it.

Since I've had them on I've only ever had one puncture but not even kevlar is a great defense for an upright two inch nail (in a hole over waste ground). I think this incident was also responsible for eventually taking the back rim out when it split a little later on. Oh well, got two (I needed it replaced quick and LBS only had a pair in stock), new very true wheels now Smile...

As far as tubes go, I usually replace them and then patch the damaged as a spare (prices are going up all the time, we used to get four for a tenner, now they're six quid each!) but I don't find I have to do that now Smile. I would not even pass the time of day with slime not on a car, motorbike or pushbike...
(03-10-2010, 10:43 AM)surreypete Wrote:  Was thinking of getting some of these for the bike.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of them, are they worth getting over a normal tube and have you noticed a difference in the amount of punctures or lack of once you fitted them ?

Yes, Slime and also Dr. Sludge does work, but like everything, it has to be used properly, you need to check around your tyres after every ride and remove any thorns, glass or tacks, spin your wheel and reinflate if necessary. If your tube then goes down, you have a hole too big for the sealant to cope with and you will need to replace your tube. This can be messy if it's a big one!!
Price is not much more than a standard tube, my lbs does them for £6 against £4 for standard and Scwhalbe puncture proof tyres from about £13 up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post