Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Possibly damaged BB from ebay...
Hi, I have a quick question regarding a BB I purchased off Ebay. It's an internal, English-threaded cartridge-type. I am using it to replace the rusty, creaky one on my crappy bike (which is a story in and of itself). The replacement part arrived new in package, with the cap slightly off and at an angle. A slight tap on the top put it back in place, but there is a very faint wobble to it now. To repeat, the end cap wobbles slightly as it rotates on the left side of the BB due to shipping damage.

I am working with the seller and am about to decide whether or not to pursue an exchange, but I wanted some opinions on whether or not this will be a problem.

Thanks in advance!
Can you post a pic of what you are talking about that would help us to help you a little better.
This is why I never buy from ebay. Next time go to Amazon or to your LBS and get the part you need.I got burn one time on ebay and thats all it took.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
(03-04-2010, 12:04 AM)Surly LHT Wrote:  Can you post a pic of what you are talking about that would help us to help you a little better.
This is why I never buy from ebay. Next time go to Amazon or to your LBS and get the part you need.I got burn one time on ebay and thats all it took.

I find that last comment very amusing, as I make my living on Ebay. Smile

Here's a picture of how the BB arrived. I need to charge my camera again to get a good closeup shot of the very slight angle that is present now. It is very slight and I need macro mode that my phone lacks.
(03-04-2010, 12:30 AM)200found Wrote:  
(03-04-2010, 12:04 AM)Surly LHT Wrote:  Can you post a pic of what you are talking about that would help us to help you a little better.

I find that last comment very amusing, as I make my living on Ebay. Smile

Here's a picture of how the BB arrived. I need to charge my camera again to get a good closeup shot of the very slight angle that is present now. It is very slight and I need macro mode that my phone lacks.
That part is bad send it back. As far as my comment thats how I feel about ebay. I could care less if you make a living at it or not. That's not what this site is about. This site is to help you ask for help I have told people here how I feel about ebay so this is not the first time I have said this. Sure lots of people buy from ebay but I damn sure want. Just my 2 cents on this matter. Have a great day and lots of riding.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
There may be damage there, but I'm not so sure. The left side "end cap" comes off the BB so you can install it in the frame. It should fit snugly onto the body of the BB, but you normally pull these on and off by hand without too much force. Now if that cup is bent and doesn't sit straight when it is all the way on to the BB body, that coudl be a problem. But the fact that you can sit it on the end at an angle like in the picture doesn't really mean anything.

I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say it "wobbles". Are you saying that it you roll the whole thing on a table top, it wobbles a little? Or maybe you mean it doesn't fit super tight onto the BB body? On cartridge BBs, the cups don't hold the bearings, they just have to hold the cartridge itself perpendicular to the BB shell in the frame. They snug up when you install them.

Again, I'm not saying "it's fine", can't do that from one picture. But you aren't describing anything that sounds bad to me. And if there isn't any visible damage, I'm not sure what would be wrong with it.
As I mentioned, that was an old picture of how it arrived. Here are some more recent ones, now that it fits. It has a little less than 1mm wobble.

EDIT: it is hard to see! I wish I could post a video. Smile
UPDATE: the store is sending me a new one. Smile Thanks for the help!

Possibly Related Threads...