Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Homemade Tire Seating Tool
In another thread under tires, http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1084.html , Bill inspired me to create my own Tire Seating Tool after seeing that Park's was almost $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-PTS-1-Tire-Seating/dp/B000OZBJVU/

I cut a 3/4" x 2" piece black steel pipe as close to center as I could but was off-center so I used the smaller of the two halves to weld it on a Chinese water pump wrench, top jaw. The other half is just 1/8" thick flat steel cut to size about 1/2" x 2". I then welded that to the bottom jaw. You'll need a vise to hold things while welding. And since the channel locks are chrome plated you will need to wear a chemical filter mask because chromium in a gas state is deadly. Total cost is about $5 for the Chinese pliers.

Nothin' to it to show really.

Temps reached almost 60 here so my day was productive! Big Grin

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Nice work!
Another to add to my homemade tool collection!SmileSmileSmile
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
Thanks guys! Big Grin

Steve
Glad to have inspired ya Smile. They look great for as you put nothing special Big Grin. Have you got to try them out?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(03-06-2010, 03:37 PM)Bill Wrote:  Glad to have inspired ya Smile. They look great for as you put nothing special Big Grin. Have you got to try them out?

This is an addition, but Steve message me I may want to buy one from ya if your interested.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(03-06-2010, 10:13 PM)Bill Wrote:  This is an addition, but Steve message me I may want to buy one from ya if your interested.

Yes, I would be interested. If you want the Chinese pliers I used in the photo then I need to see if I can find them still selling for $5. They were on a clearance table and might be able to get the same price. I'll check. And I'll see about shipping too.

I tested the tool on a Raleigh (27x1/1/4) and it works great. The flat-side jaw lands on the tire rim so let me know if you would rather have 2 semi-circular jaws. I kinda like the fact that it hits the rim though, for added leverage when pulling the tire back into the rim. But let me know your preference when I PM ya with details.

Thanks,
Steve
I also found a rubberized spray used as undercoating on cars that can be used on the tool to protect the alloy rims from scratches. I haven't tested the coating yet though. I'm waiting for it to dry. I'm not sure how well it will hold up.

Steve
Brilliant addition, hope that turns out to be of assistance! I'll email ya in a minute.
^^ That rubberized coating didn't stand up well against a tire so scrap that idea. A better tire protector will likely be electrical tape wrapped around each jaw separately.

For people who might think this would work for INSTALLING tires . . . this tool doesn't help there. It is strictly for seating the tire AFTER installation and inflation of a tire. ("seating tool")

Steve
Maybe use an old inner tube as a protector?
Well from actual experience they work AWESOME!! Big Grin
Do you have a picture of them in use?
Can you get a picture of them in use and post on here?

I "think" the curved jaw holds the part of the tire that contacts the road in place, while the flat jaw slides along the braking surface of the rim and pushes / forces the bead over the rim edge.
Correct?
(03-18-2010, 12:08 AM)yosarian9 Wrote:  Do you have a picture of them in use?
Can you get a picture of them in use and post on here?

I "think" the curved jaw holds the part of the tire that contacts the road in place, while the flat jaw slides along the braking surface of the rim and pushes / forces the bead over the rim edge.
Correct?

Sure later today I will post one.
Yosorian, I think you might be thinking of a tire installation tool, am I wrong? I just bought a TL-10 for that last week.

This tool is for seating (or re-seating) the tire after it has been installed on the rim. BTW, I like your handle (ID name). It is from one of my favorite movies of all time, Catch 22.

Steve
Good job!

[Image: righton.gif]
Aww man I knew I was forgetting a video. I am writing this down and will so one when I get time, sorry KC.
Is there a shortage of thumbs in the US. Smile
(07-27-2010, 07:13 PM)TonyE Wrote:  Good job!

Thanks TonyE!

No problem Bill.
(07-27-2010, 08:30 PM)xerxes Wrote:  Is there a shortage of thumbs in the US. Smile

Hehehe, Not a shortage of thumbs, just time Wink.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-02-2022, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Jesper

11-12-2019, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Staystrong

10-08-2013, 04:05 AM
Last Post: Joe_W