Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How To Make You Own Repair Stand
this are the ingredients.
1- one 3x3 foot piece of 1-inch plywood or particleboard ( this is the base of the stand .
2- one 1-inch threaded pipe flange ( for joining the upright to the base).
3- four each 1 1/4-inch bolts washers and nuts ( for attaching the flange to the base ).
4- one 5 foot section ( or whatever length best fits your height ) of 1- inch -diameter pipe treaded on both ends (this is the upright ).
5- one 1x3/4 -inch 90- degree reducer pipe elbow ( for joining the arm to the upright ).
6- one 2-foot section of 3/4-inch-diameter pipe treaded on both ends ( this is the arm ).
7- one 5-inch section of 4x4 ( to make the clamp jaws ).
8- one pony clamp fixture ( style no. 50; go here to see what it looks like; adjustableclamp.com/cf50).
9- eight 1-inch screws ( for attaching the jaws to the clamp ).
this is a home made bicycle workshop
Tino's is probably cheaper then the one I am about to list but here is the list..

1 - 1/2" x 36" Black Iron Pipe
1 - 1/2" x 12" Black Iron Pipe
1 - 1/2" Pipe Clamp (red in color)
4 - 1/2" x 18" Black Iron Pipe (these are the legs)
3 - 1/2" x 10" Black Iron Pipe (two of them extend out from the main shaft
*3rd* is the arm for the pipe clamp)
4 - 1/2" Black Iron Pipe Tees (3 of them are for the base assembly 4th is for
the arm)
Optional -
4 - 1/2" Black Iron Pipe End caps for the legs
1 - 90 degree elbow.

*3rd* I will note that on my original was with the 10" piece. However I found pedal clearance was not sufficient so I went and bought a 18" piece. I took the extra 10" piece and put it on top of the 12" piece with the elbow attachment for extra support with a bungy cord. Now to save you some dough an easy way to get your 18" extension is to take one of the legs that face in the back and swap it out with the 10" arm. Here is a thread I already posted some pics of it, they should be toward the bottom.
http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-47.html

The cost of mine was $64.18 from Lowes. Now I am sure if you know a plumber, electrical worker (industrial), HVAC repairman, etc you probably could find the parts you need from their scrap. If you are going to out right buy then call around for prices as I did. Oh I went with the Black Iron instead of Galvanized because it was cheaper in price. Yes it can fold up if you unscrew the legs 1/2 turn vertical. Any other question please do asked Smile

*** Thank you Tino for starting this thread Smile ***
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill, are those pipes threaded at the ends or just wedged in well?

Do you guys reckon your stands would be able to take a 40-odd lb bike without becoming unstable? They look pretty sturdy, but I don't want to build one and find my Scott Octane rips it apart. If not then I'll look into using them as a basis for a more heavy-duty stand (put bracing, triangles, etc. on it to make it stronger)
Well for heavier duty apps like that you can change the 1/2" pipe to a 3/4" pipe. If that doesn't hold then I do not know what will! 3/4" pipe is large, tough, and to warn it will be a little more expensive as well. The one I have has held some heavy bikes and I have removed crank arms with quite a bit of torque downwards and it did not break. Not sure of how much the Next Bike pictured on mine weighs but it isn't light lol. Again the 3/4" pipe is very strong and probably would hold up to 75lbs or more easy.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Sounds like a plan, I'll look into it!
I had one of these for a while till I could afford a commercial stand. I even know of a shop in Rhode Island that has one.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
Oh I just want to add after I posted the one I have it heard me bragging about it! Make sure you have the thread tightened enough lol. Mine kind went on a tilt, but that was my fault, I did not have the thread re-tightened because I took the legs apart when I was experimenting with it, lol.
Here is an addition to show how to expand on the single bike I made. It is now a Double Stand ,yup holds two bikes at the same time!! Yes I have had 2 MTB's 26" on the and the stand holds up very well. The mod I made to it was instead of using a "T" or 3way connector I added a 4way 1/2" connector with another 18" X 1/2" pipe. Big Grin ....
Nice one!

I'm not that hot on engineering, what benefits does the 4-way offer over the T-connector? I think I may have finally located somewhere that sells threaded pipe so I'm just finalising my design.
Good Job Bill Nice
Thanks tino Smile

Well the benefits is that you can have two bike stands in one instead of having to make/buy an extra. If you are like me you can restore a bike at pace while at the same time fix a different one without interrupting your restoration project. I think I know what you mean. See I have a top part because I use to hold the handle bars/stem assembly when needed, or rise the bike up to that level if I have to. T connector I guess could do the same thing for side to side I just like the extra have it and not right away need it option. It is really up to the person in general. Good point though Smile
Ah, I hadn't seen the extra arm on top of the 4-way. At the time it looked like just a pipe sticking up in the air. Clever idea.

I was thinking about two bikestands in one, as I could work on both at once (or use the other as a counter-weight). That arm looks quite handy, it could also be used (with some string or similar) to hold up the bleed syringe for Avid/Formula hydraulics, which would be very useful.
I just got done making a stand based on the same design. I used a 2'x2' pice of 3/4" plywood for a base. 1"x60" black iron pipe for the up right. 1" surface mount bracket. 4 1/4"x1&1/2" bolts, nuts, and washers to attach the surface mount bracket to the base. 1"to3/4" adapter and a 3/4"x18" pipe for the pony clamp. Two 6" pieces of 2x4 bored with a 1&1/4" forster bit through the two pieces to fit over the pony clamp bar and a 1&1/8" forster bit bored through the two pieces to clamp the steat stem. doubled over a piece of inner tube and stapled to act as grip and padding for the seat stem. Works great for working on the bike in the garage.
(09-03-2012, 01:12 PM)Icemanxxxv Wrote:  I just got done making a stand based on the same design. I used a 2'x2' pice of 3/4" plywood for a base. 1"x60" black iron pipe for the up right. 1" surface mount bracket. 4 1/4"x1&1/2" bolts, nuts, and washers to attach the surface mount bracket to the base. 1"to3/4" adapter and a 3/4"x18" pipe for the pony clamp. Two 6" pieces of 2x4 bored with a 1&1/4" forster bit through the two pieces to fit over the pony clamp bar and a 1&1/8" forster bit bored through the two pieces to clamp the steat stem. doubled over a piece of inner tube and stapled to act as grip and padding for the seat stem. Works great for working on the bike in the garage.

post some pics for us
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yes please please please please please lol. Serious that does sound really cool!
Addition: I know there are some odd seat post sizes but with your idea of the seat post and inner tube one could make an over size one or smaller in addition, for that just in case bike Wink.

There has been a mod I have been working on but still on paper. But I really like this affordable approach Smile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-14-2022, 07:32 AM
Last Post: ichitan

08-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Last Post: bikemanfred

05-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Last Post: torquecyclerepairs