Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Triathletes disqualified after crossing finish line holding hands
Both got DSQ ... thoughts?

has happened before, i only support the decision. i's about the sportsmanship.
(08-21-2019, 08:18 AM)Bombay Wrote:  Both got DSQ ... thoughts?

That's rather odd. But rules are rules and they must be followed.
Reminded me of the Danish junior cyclist Tobias Lund Andersen celebrating victory this spring in Belgium, he got lots of people annoyed with his arrogant celebration.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
What would be the reasoning for dqing them for holding hands? Seems a bit ridiculous unless there’s some reasoning behind it other then it’s the rules
Triathlon keeps getting confusing. I'm happy with my MTB
It is a competition, not a "love-in". You are supposed to attempt to beat your opponent regardless of friendship, etc. off the course. Plenty of time to hold hands on the podium which they would have definitely shared in that race. Also, there can be no attempt to aid another competitor by pulling or pushing; holding hands could have easily been construed as one or the other providing aid even if it was neglible or unintentional. It is the competitor's responsibility to know the rules of their sport. They either did not know the rules, or did not think that they would be held accountable for breaking them.
One reason why I hate playing golf (amateur). Most who play (and are better than myself by far) break the rules multiple times in a single round (often on a single hole) and would either have penalty strokes imposed or be automatically DQ'd. I may "lose" every time, but by following the actual rules, I have, in reality, actually rarely lost. Because I do follow the rules I tend irritate those who do not. It may be a friendly match, but if you break one rule where do you draw the line, and how do you determine a winner?
If you have an agreement as to who will cross first, do that, then celebrate together. I think they were worried about missing the camera shot. It's a race. Finish, then celebrate together. Plenty of photo ops. Read the rules.