Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Shimano Deore rear hub and Shimano CS-HG20-7 Sprocket
Hi Everyone!

I hope you can help me. I bought a new 26" MTB rear wheel online and it has a Shimano Deore hub, I was trying to attach a new CS-HG20-7 Shimano Hyperglide Sprocket (with 7 gears and 12-28 teeth), but it seems the "Sprocket socket" (I am not sure what it is called) is slightly longer then needed, I could theoretically fit another gear cog.

Are there some kind of "spacers or washers" available? If yes, what are these things called?
Or did I mess something up? Is this normal?

I am new to bike repairs, I moved to a new city and all of the local bike repair shops do either horrible work, are expensive or sell really cheap parts. Undecided

Thanks for your help.
what model is your Deore hub? most would use a 4.5mm spacer behind the cassette
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-27258-problem-solvers-cassette-spacers.aspx?variantID=89709&gclid=CJvZh-qSm8kCFQQPaQodFE0BgQ

your bike shop, however bad may have one in stock. That may be cheaper than the shipped online price. Give them a ring and ask for a price. Getting it the same day is nice too.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(11-18-2015, 07:45 PM)painkiller Wrote:  what model is your Deore hub? most would use a 4.5mm spacer behind the cassette
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-27258-problem-solvers-cassette-spacers.aspx?variantID=89709&gclid=CJvZh-qSm8kCFQQPaQodFE0BgQ

your bike shop, however bad may have one in stock. That may be cheaper than the shipped online price. Give them a ring and ask for a price. Getting it the same day is nice too.

Thank you very much for your reply! I will go today and visit all of the local bike shops, one of them probably has one of these. :-)
With the 4.5mm spacer behind the cassette - you might have to remove the rivets or screws that hold the cassette together to get everything to fit.  

I found the a spacer from inside a 7 speed cassette (about 3mm) is close enough to use without removing the rivets/screws from the 7 speed cassette to use on a 8/9/10 speed freehub.

I have done it the "correct" way with the 4.5mm spacer and the cheater way.
Nigel
(12-03-2015, 08:34 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  With the 4.5mm spacer behind the cassette - you might have to remove the rivets or screws that hold the cassette together to get everything to fit.  

I found the a spacer from inside a 7 speed cassette (about 3mm) is close enough to use without removing the rivets/screws from the 7 speed cassette to use on a 8/9/10 speed freehub.

I have done it the "correct" way with the 4.5mm spacer and the cheater way.
Thank you for your reply.
I did measure it several times and I had the feeling a 3mm should be able to do the job just fine.
I tried to buy both, but I could only find the 3mm ones, so I tried it and it fits and works like a charm. I've already done around 85-100km of commute with it and it shifts perfectly. I don't see (or hear) any problems either.
I guess we solved it together. :-)

Possibly Related Threads...