Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

Shimano Deore shifter
[attachment=3051]I have a Kona Cindercone 8 speed from early 2000's. The right thumb shifter sometimes needs to be pushed once before it catches and moves the deraileur onto the next lowest gear. Is this something that I might be able to repair or is it likely I need to replace it. I have not taken it apart yet other than taking the top cover off which showed me nothing. I'm a reasonably competent mechanic, definitely not a pro but I've done all of my own repairs for 30 years. Cables, greasing wheel bearings and bottom brackets etc.

(05-24-2024, 11:04 AM)larrypac Wrote:  I have a Kona Cindercone 8 speed from early 2000's. The right thumb shifter sometimes needs to be pushed once before it catches and moves the deraileur onto the next lowest gear. Is this something that I might be able to repair or is it likely I need to replace it. I have not taken it apart yet other than taking the top cover off which showed me nothing. I'm a reasonably competent mechanic, definitely not a pro but I've done all of my own repairs for 30 years. Cables, greasing wheel bearings and bottom brackets etc.

I just found another post about the grease hardening up in shifters so I guess I'll tear it apart and clean it.
Cleaning and lubing it will be a miracle fix from the sounds of it. It's likely that the plastic cog teeth for the internal mech in the shifter have worn and become defective. The only answer is to replace those if you can (good luck)—or just replace the entire shifter.

Possibly Related Threads...