Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

SRAM crank set/Shimano compatibility?
My SRAM Force crankset has gone wobbly after only 15 months use. Being carbon it is impossible to tighten this and will need replacing.
I want to replace it with an aluminium one, but SRAM items are so limited I want to use a Shimano one. My chainring is a 32 tooth one.

Has anyone tried this?
You should mention what speed group you're running. Typically, you can mix the crankset up front with your drivetrain in the rear as long as you're using the right chain, cassette, and rear derailleur that the back needs—with the proper front derailleur needed. There's one big caveat that larger (lower speeds) bike chains won't fit in the smaller (higher speeds) front derailleurs. It has been reported that if you're running 9 speed, you can use a 10 speed chain without issues (if needed to complete you suit). I have not been able to test this successfully, and would expect issues present themselves in some form or another.
(06-15-2023, 03:52 AM)Liz B Wrote:  My SRAM Force crankset has gone wobbly after only 15 months use. Being carbon it is impossible to tighten this and will need replacing.
I want to replace it with an aluminium one, but SRAM items are so limited I want to use a Shimano one. My chainring is a 32 tooth one.

Has anyone tried this?

Would it be safe to assume that you're a mountain biker running on an Eagle Drivetrain system? If the answer is yes, theoretically the system works best only with "Eagle" components like SX,NX, GX, XO and X11, since you mentioned Carbon you're probably running an XO or X11 system, it'll still work great on GX or NX these are aluminum versions of the same crank.

PS: also tried other brand cranksets such as FSA and White Industries , they work fine with Eagle but not optimal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-09-2024, 03:00 AM
Last Post: meamoantonio

07-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Last Post: rbx

08-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Last Post: mtb10