Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Remove Hub End Caps
How can I remove the hub end caps from my front wheel? The wheel is a 2014 TBC Revolution Trail 27.5 with 32 spokes. I tried pulling them off by hand and with a pair of pliers but was unsuccessful.

The reason I'm doing this is because I noticed movement when I grip the wheel and move it side to side. I suspect the hub bearings and would like to remove the caps to have closer look and possible replace the bearings.

Here are some pictures of the wheel and hub:

[Image: 2nvs56h.jpg]
[Image: 2lieeip.jpg]
[Image: 2qjhhxg.jpg]
[Image: ojpb43.jpg]
[Image: mjmuzo.jpg]
insert your thru axle in to the end about 3/4 in and pry side to side to pop out the ends. do this on each side
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-11-2015, 05:59 PM)painkiller Wrote:  insert your thru axle in to the end about 3/4 in and pry side to side to pop out the ends. do this on each side

I tried that too...with the threaded end. I would use the other end but I don't see how to remove the the quick release lever. Here is pic of the axle:
[Image: 2q0t213.jpg]
what brand hub are we working with?
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(08-11-2015, 06:47 PM)painkiller Wrote:  what brand hub are we working with?

Transition Bike Company
no help there, if the caps do not move, they may screw on. Some brands do. try a strap wrench and pry it up with that maybe. it would also spin them if they are screw on type

You may be able to use a rubber/plastic or dead blow mallet to pop them off also
(08-11-2015, 07:01 PM)painkiller Wrote:  no help there, if the caps do not move, they may screw on. Some brands do. try a strap wrench and pry it up with that maybe. it would also spin them if they are screw on type

You may be able to use a rubber/plastic or dead blow mallet to pop them off also

If only I had those tools...
After I make a trip to the hardware store I'll give it a shot.
(08-11-2015, 07:01 PM)painkiller Wrote:  no help there, if the caps do not move, they may screw on. Some brands do. try a strap wrench and pry it up with that maybe. it would also spin them if they are screw on type

Neither of these methods worked for me. :-(
wow, tough one. one other technique would be to clamp in a vice and pop the wheel off the caps that way. Jaw covers are nice for this so you do not scratch the parts. also do clamp so hard that you deform the caps
Brought the wheel to my LBS and he was able to remove the endcaps using the threaded side of the axle. I just wasn't using enough force when I tried it. Guess you can't be scared of it... Smile
good deal, I was beginning to wonder what the heck!