Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Can't shift highest and lower gear
Hi, I have problem with my rear derailleur.
I just build bike with groupset shimano 105 5700(with new cable). the problem is rear derailleur cant move from hardest gear(smallest gear) to second gear. but if I shifting from hardest to easy gears like 2 or 3 click time the chain just start move to second gear.
if I shifting again to the next gear until 10 shifting click, the chain just stop on the 9th gear. can't move to hardest gear(10th gear).

and if I shifting going back to the hardest gear/smallest gear, they will stop at second gear(2nd of smallest gear).

does anybody know what's actually happened in this problem?
sorry if my words are hard to understand.
thanks
(06-08-2014, 07:40 AM)rabany Wrote:  Hi, I have problem with my rear derailleur.
I just build bike with groupset shimano 105 5700(with new cable). the problem is rear derailleur cant move from hardest gear(smallest gear) to second gear. but if I shifting from hardest to easy gears like 2 or 3 click time the chain just start move to second gear.
if I shifting again to the next gear until 10 shifting click, the chain just stop on the 9th gear. can't move to hardest gear(10th gear).

and if I shifting going back to the hardest gear/smallest gear, they will stop at second gear(2nd of smallest gear).

thanks

sounds like your H/L limit screws are not set proper, and your cable tension is not correct. Also check for binding with your cable/housing.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
You have more than one problem, and you need to follow the correct procedure for installation and adjustment. Installing and adjusting a drive train is not a matter of just attaching things. Videos here are supposed to be good, but I always recommend reading and understanding written procedures first. Google "install rear derailleur" do the same search for "shift cable" instead, and you can also try 'adjust" instead of "install." The parktool.com/blog and sheldonbrown.com results are usually the most accurate and helpful.

If the derailleur can get to the large/small cogs at all the problem is not primarily the limit screws. Cables seat in after the 1st few shifts, so that the cable is slack until you shift a few clicks - so likely the cable needs to be retightened, then the derailleur adjusted. A spring in the derailleur must pull the cable through the housing to allow the shift to the small cog, so if it is slow or stubborn getting there you probably have too much friction in the cable/housing - multiple causes - kinks, poor cutting of the ends, no ferrules, poor housing length, etc.
(06-08-2014, 10:07 AM)cny-man Wrote:  You have more than one problem, and you need to follow the correct procedure for installation and adjustment. Installing and adjusting a drive train is not a matter of just attaching things. Videos here are supposed to be good, but I always recommend reading and understanding written procedures first. Google "install rear derailleur" do the same search for "shift cable" instead, and you can also try 'adjust" instead of "install." The parktool.com/blog and sheldonbrown.com results are usually the most accurate and helpful.

If the derailleur can get to the large/small cogs at all the problem is not primarily the limit screws. Cables seat in after the 1st few shifts, so that the cable is slack until you shift a few clicks - so likely the cable needs to be retightened, then the derailleur adjusted. A spring in the derailleur must pull the cable through the housing to allow the shift to the small cog, so if it is slow or stubborn getting there you probably have too much friction in the cable/housing - multiple causes - kinks, poor cutting of the ends, no ferrules, poor housing length, etc.

thanks alot dude. I appreciate it. might be my outer cable ends is not cut properly.
(06-08-2014, 09:43 AM)painkiller Wrote:  
(06-08-2014, 07:40 AM)rabany Wrote:  Hi, I have problem with my rear derailleur.

thanks

sounds like your H/L limit screws are not set proper, and your cable tension is not correct. Also check for binding with your cable/housing.

thanks alot dude, might be the problem is the outer cable ends is not cut properly.
(06-10-2014, 06:12 AM)rabany Wrote:  
(06-08-2014, 10:07 AM)cny-man Wrote:  You have more than one problem, and you need to follow the correct procedure for installation and adjustment. Installing and adjusting a drive train is not a matter of just attaching things. Videos here are supposed to be good, but I always recommend reading and understanding written procedures first. Google "install rear derailleur" do the same search for "shift cable" instead, and you can also try 'adjust" instead of "install." The parktool.com/blog and sheldonbrown.com results are usually the most accurate and helpful.

thanks alot dude. I appreciate it. might be my outer cable ends is not cut properly.
(06-08-2014, 09:43 AM)painkiller Wrote:  

thanks

thanks alot dude, might be the problem is the outer cable ends is not cut properly.

make sure to change only one thing at a time. outer cable end length is most irrelevant if it attaches adequately to the RDR tension screw.
set limit screws (front, then rear), then test. if still a problem, then work on cable tension with the barrel adjuster or by manually adding more tension on the cable itself.
Thanks for your input Sean. people for the most part do not realize that cutting a housing is not a true finish to the housing. I find that a cut-off wheel with a square cut thru the housing does a great job. the type from a Dremmel type tool is great!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...