Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Part number for sprocket
does anyone know the part number (or how to find it?) for the 32 tooth sprocket that attaches to the crank? My bike shop guy will take the 38 tooth sprocket (standard factory equipment when you buy the trike new) off, and put the 32 tooth sprocket on for me, but he needs that part number in order to get the 32 tooth sprocket.

The adult trike is a 26 inch, one speed, schwinn meridian.

thanks
You need a 32 tooth chain ring for a one piece crank, probably for an 1/8" chain. That could be a bit of a search. Might be easier to find a larger rear cog, not sure on trikes.
If it's a 1/8" chain a BMX part might work.
If it's a 3/32" chain I don't know where to find less than a 36 tooth.
A bike shop/guy should know this stuff.
I'm sorry, but I think what you need is a 3, or better yet, a 7 speed trike. That will completely solve your issue.
Dancer; how about a close up picture of what is currently on the trike? None of us have actually seen the trike up close, so all of our advice is purely a guess and is likely to be close, but not close enough to work without significant tweaking.

This picture shows a proprietary interface between the chainring and the crank:
http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii516/chicagobikefinders/CIMG6707.jpg
but your Meridian maybe different.

On to Jef's suggestion:
http://www.amazon.com/Sun-3-Speed-Coaster-Conversion-3-Wheeler/dp/B0063R1PQM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1397144496&sr=1-1&keywords=schwinn+meridian+three+speed+conversion+kit
this may or may not fit your Meridian, depending on the type of rear brake your trike has; coaster or roller brake.
Nigel
[attachment=4994][attachment=4995][attachment=4996][attachment=4997][attachment=4998]thanks for the help. here are the pics.
The chainring appears to be pressed on to the right crank - it is doubtful that it is replaceable by itself.

The good news, is that it appears to be a standard 3 piece cotterless crank; which is pretty easy to source; BUT may require a BB with a different axle length to match the current chainline. BB axles are about $5- each, and it would be easy to measure what you'd need for a new crank after temporarily installing the new crank. First measure the current chainring to some datum, remove the current crank, install new, measure to same datum, difference is how much the longer or short BB axle is required.
Nigel
(04-10-2014, 02:46 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  The chainring appears to be pressed on to the right crank - it is doubtful that it is replaceable by itself.

The good news, is that it appears to be a standard 3 piece cotterless crank; which is pretty easy to source; BUT may require a BB with a different axle length to match the current chainline. BB axles are about $5- each, and it would be easy to measure what you'd need for a new crank after temporarily installing the new crank. First measure the current chainring to some datum, remove the current crank, install new, measure to same datum, difference is how much the longer or short BB axle is required.
Hi and thanks,

I sent the pics to the LBS, and the man there says he can fix me up with a 33 tooth sprocket. He will have to change the crank and all the other stuff down there in the crotch of the trike. So good....finally. I have a bad knee that does not like to be thrown around on a 7 inch crank arm. I have bought the crank arm shorteners, and they seem to work as advertised. But the closer I bring the pedals to the center of the crank axle, the more leverage I lose in propelling the trike. So I need the crank shorteners, and then as a result of using them, I need the smaller sprocket so I can propel the trike. He said he could do it all for just a bit south of $100.00. Which is OKDOKEY with me.

My wife also has a bad knee, plus short legs, which make riding the Schwinn Meridian impossible for her. So we got a Worksman Trifecta 20 inch wheels, 3 speed, folding adult trike, for her. It has a 5.5 inch crank arm and that crank arm does not bother her knee. But she has trouble propelling that trike. So we called Worksman, and they are sending us a 32 tooth sprocket for that trike. When we get it, we will load up the trike into our SUV and have the LBS man install that.

So, hopefully, we can look forward to some trikeing this summer

again, thanks

Possibly Related Threads...