Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Single Speed / Fixie Build
Hi,

I bought a bike frame a while back with the view to build a single speed / fixie. And I thought I'd put up a few photos to show you the progress to date. Keep in mind that this is my first build and its going to be done on a tight budget and as a result could take a couple of weeks/months!!!
Bought the frame back in June, and stripped paint back to bare metal and all looked good. Gave it a fresh coat of paint, a deep red, and a couple of coats of lacquer last week after buying, wheels, forks, seat post and seat on eBay. Next on my shopping list is headset, my forks are 1" threaded as I wanted an style quill stem, but the frame is 1 1/8", so I need to find a headset to suit, which I'm in the process of at the moment.
I'm still trying to make up my mind whether to go for a handlebar like the Fyxation rodeo bullhorn or the Pista drop handlebars along with a quill stem. I think once I have the front forks and stem on it'll be easier to make up my mind.
Then all thats left is a crankset and bottom bracket, still have'nt made my mind up what I want yet. (I'm between two minds, go for a track crankset or just buy a double crankset like a shimano from ebay and take the big ring off).
At the moment the bike has a fixed cog, so theres no need for brakes (yet!!!) I fitted a flip flop hub so it has both freewheel and fixed rear cog so I can decide at a later date what I want the bike to be.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any advice. (ie makes to use/not to use etc.) Any good websites/online stores based in Ireland or the UK that I can get a good price for items/advice etc.
Thanks for looking!!
Morgan
frame when I bought it:[/align]
Paint Stripped:
New paint, forks, wheels & seat post
Retro Seat!
[attachment=4381]
Looks good!
Pretty sure you need a 1" headset. Double check here before you buy anything:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html#size

Unless you think you'd want to switch it to geared in the near future, I'd get a track crank. There should be plenty to choose from at reasonable price. Note that there are two widths of teeth on cranks, chains, and rear cogs; 3/32" and 1/8". It is best to have all three parts match, but you can mix without too much trouble. However, if either the crank or rear cog is 1/8", you need a 1/8" chain.

I'd put at least a front brake on it even if you're going to ride fix. Despite what many will tell you, you get really lousy stopping ability using just the rear wheel to stop no matter how good you are at fix (physics!)

good luck
(08-14-2013, 02:52 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Looks good!
Pretty sure you need a 1" headset. Double check here before you buy anything:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html#size

Unless you think you'd want to switch it to geared in the near future, I'd get a track crank. There should be plenty to choose from at reasonable price. Note that there are two widths of teeth on cranks, chains, and rear cogs; 3/32" and 1/8". It is best to have all three parts match, but you can mix without too much trouble. However, if either the crank or rear cog is 1/8", you need a 1/8" chain.

I'd put at least a front brake on it even if you're going to ride fix. Despite what many will tell you, you get really lousy stopping ability using just the rear wheel to stop no matter how good you are at fix (physics!)

good luck

Thanks DaveM, just double checked the internal measurements of the headtube and its reading 1.18inches (30mm), and the outer tube measurement is 1.39inches (35.3mm).
The forks that you see in the photos were bought separately, hence the 1" threaded so a retro quill can be used.
What size headset do you think I need? (I grew up in a world of millimeters and decimals and these inches and fractions are so confusing!!!)
30mm inner diameter on the frame means you need a "1 inch threaded headset". This is the same basic measurement as the "frame cup outside diameter" on the chart I linked to. This is very standard.

And yes, sizing on bikes is notoriously confusing for a variety of not very good reasons...
(08-14-2013, 03:53 PM)DaveM Wrote:  30mm inner diameter on the frame means you need a "1 inch threaded headset". This is the same basic measurement as the "frame cup outside diameter" on the chart I linked to. This is very standard.

And yes, sizing on bikes is notoriously confusing for a variety of not very good reasons...

Thanks DAve, you have saved me alot of time for when I go to buy my headset!
Is that a 700c on the front & a 630mm on the rear?
(08-15-2013, 05:32 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Is that a 700c on the front & a 630mm on the rear?

No they are both the same, 700c. Just looks a little lopsided as the front forks are just sitting in the frame (no headset yet)
Got the headset, bottom bracket, crankset, chain, quill stem and trackbars fitted at last......
What did you use for the crank set, it looks good. How about a closer pic?
(09-18-2013, 04:01 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  What did you use for the crank set, it looks good. How about a closer pic?

Bought it on eBay from a guy in the UK. (angpatten357) I've bought a few things of him and hes reasonably priced and easy to deal with.
The brand is 'Mighty'
Never heard of it. Looks like a 48 tooth, nice looking. OK, just looked it up- it's a Sugino brand, good stuff.
(09-18-2013, 08:49 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  Never heard of it. Looks like a 48 tooth, nice looking. OK, just looked it up- it's a Sugino brand, good stuff.

Its a 46 tooth with alloy chainring and 165mm crankarms. I hadn't heard of the brand name before either and googled it and found that Sugino make that model, but I'm not convinced its a Sugino (based on the price I paid for it!!!) but its a great copy of one if it is, really good build & material quality. Worked out nicely, I'm happy with it :-)
165mm wow... that's... short. I also prefer shorter cranks than what are spec'd on most bikes. I really love the build so far, good job.
(09-20-2013, 02:18 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  165mm wow... that's... short. I also prefer shorter cranks than what are spec'd on most bikes. I really love the build so far, good job.

Thanks!! Its been great fun, really enjoyed it! And as luck would have it, I came accross a bike in "reasonable condition" yesterday afternoon in a skip, no wheels and alot of rust and dents!!! Bike build number 2 is just around the corner!!!! Started stripping the frame last night, but the stem and seat post are proving to be a bit of a problem, they are seized big time!!! All part of the fun I guess!
Yup. See the discussion on oils and homebrewed stuff on what to use. Soaking in WD40 or so helps, but there's better stuff around. Sometimes a hammer also helps, tapping the seatpost to go down a bit might break some of the rust. Good luck!
Re the dents: carefully inspect the frame. Dents are Not A Good Thing.
(09-20-2013, 04:39 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Yup. See the discussion on oils and homebrewed stuff on what to use. Soaking in WD40 or so helps, but there's better stuff around. Sometimes a hammer also helps, tapping the seatpost to go down a bit might break some of the rust. Good luck!
Re the dents: carefully inspect the frame. Dents are Not A Good Thing.

Thanks for the tip Joe. I've read up on the stuck seat posts and I'm curious to try the ammonia method! I've used WD-40 and a few whacks of a rubber hammer but no luck yet!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Last Post: wwwalterrr

06-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Papa Dom

11-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Last Post: !TREK4ME!