Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Crank conversion
Hi guys:.....(Firstly, pardon for my English)....

I have a Huffy Granite 15 speed one (1) piece crank. Which I want to convert to a three pieces crank. I find a American to Euro bottom bracket conversion kit, what I can't find is the wheel that go with the 15 speed system or can I install a single wheel too.....
Wheel?

You mean something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-M131-Crankset-170mm-48/dp/B003ZMDJW6/

or something else?

If that is correct, you will also need a bottom bracket like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Square-Bottom-Bracket-68x110mm/dp/B005DTIG9U/

and a tool like this:
http://www.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Bicycle-Shimano-Bracket-Removal/dp/B00811WQJS/

and one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/RHX-Bicycle-Remover-Extractor-Mountain/dp/B00BUL4K54/
Nigel
(03-24-2013, 07:24 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Wheel?

You mean something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-M131-Crankset-170mm-48/dp/B003ZMDJW6/

or something else?

If that is correct, you will also need a bottom bracket like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Square-Bottom-Bracket-68x110mm/dp/B005DTIG9U/

and a tool like this:
http://www.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Bicycle-Shimano-Bracket-Removal/dp/B00811WQJS/

and one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/RHX-Bicycle-Remover-Extractor-Mountain/dp/B00BUL4K54/

I guess that I will need all of that, but the question is which one, the 68/107 or the 68/127.5....
Which wheel I will need if I have a 15 speed system, a single one or a three like the one I have....
Thanks for you answer I think is help me understand a little more about this, thanks a lot.....
I think he means which crank set & which bottom bracket size.
(03-24-2013, 10:33 PM)mateff Wrote:  I guess that I will need all of that, but the question is which one, the 68/107 or the 68/127.5....
Which wheel I will need if I have a 15 speed system, a single one or a three like the one I have....
Thanks for you answer I think is help me understand a little more about this, thanks a lot.....

The M131 is about the least expensive crankset available. It is rugged and will last a very long time. More expensive ones are lighter, but not more rugged.

You can install a single chainring crankset if you want, they are more expensive than the M131, and that will result in you having a 5 speed bike instead of a 15 speed.

Shimano recommends 122.5mm axle BB for the M131. I have than combination, and will be changing to a 113mm axle BB soon.

Different cranksets have different recommended BB axle lengths.

At the same time that you replace the cranks, you should also replace the chain http://www.amazon.com/KMC-Chain-Speed-Nickel-Plated/dp/B000AYFRUE/ and freewheel http://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-Freewheel-14-28T-5-Speed-Black/dp/B000AYB57S/ .

See http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp for more information on Shimano component installation.

Wheel: do you mean something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Nutted-Cruiser-Freewheel-1-75-Inch/dp/B003RLL5VM/
even though it says 7 speed, a 5 speed or 6 speed freewheel will fit fine.

A couple of decades ago, people used to refer to bikes as 10 or 15 speeds, signifying 5 gears in back and 2 or 3 in front. Now with the proliferation of high count cogs on cassettes, some refer to an old 10 or 15 speed as a 5 speed with double or triple chainrings. For example our T50 currently has a 7 speed cassette with triple chainrings, and will be getting a 9 speed cassette (new rear wheel, rear derailleur and shifter) in the next couple of weeks.
Nigel
I'm sorry if can't explain my self, but I'm new in this things:
I have a 15 Speed Mountain Huffy Granite one piece Crank with a Three Gear Chain Wheel and a Five Gears Rear Cassette.

I want to install a Pedelec Magnetic for my Front Wheel Electric Motor and because I can't install the pedelec on a one piece crank I need to change it for a three pieces one. Now, the space where the crank goes right to left is too big for a three pieces crank, so I have to install a Bottom Bracket Adapter (Picture above) that they say will converter from a American one piece crank bed to a European three pieces crank bed....

My Bike have a three gear chain wheel part of the crank and a five gear rear cassette, that will have to changed or find a chain wheel to go with it...or in any event chain the whole system to a single speed or so... any ideas...
I'm sorry if can't explain my self, but I'm new in this things:
I have a 15 Speed Mountain Huffy Granite one piece Crank with a Three Gear Chain Wheel and a Five Gears Rear Cassette.

I want to install a Pedelec Magnetic for my Front Wheel Electric Motor and because I can't install the pedelec on a one piece crank I need to change it for a three pieces one. Now, the space where the crank goes right to left is too big for a three pieces crank, so I have to install a Bottom Bracket Adapter (Picture above) that they say will converter from a American one piece crank bed to a European three pieces crank bed....

My Bike have a three gear chain wheel part of the crank and a five gear rear cassette, that will have to changed or find a chain wheel to go with it...or in any event chain the whole system to a single speed or so... any ideas...
(03-25-2013, 02:21 PM)mateff Wrote:  I'm sorry if can't explain my self, but I'm new in this things:

I suspect this is what you want to replace the 1 piece huffy crank which is similar to the Bmx. This is the kit they use to replace the 1 piece to a 3 piece crank set.
(03-26-2013, 02:22 PM)hcjg1 Wrote:  
(03-25-2013, 02:21 PM)mateff Wrote:  I'm sorry if can't explain my self, but I'm new in this things:

Thanks hcjg1:
I will check on that and see....But still I like to know, about the wheel chain size the spindle and other accessories, like I say, I don't know anything about it....

I suspect this is what you want to replace the 1 piece huffy crank which is similar to the Bmx. This is the kit they use to replace the 1 piece to a 3 piece crank set.

(03-26-2013, 04:22 PM)mateff Wrote:  
(03-26-2013, 02:22 PM)hcjg1 Wrote:  

Thanks hcjg1:
I will check on that and see....But still I like to know, about the wheel chain size the spindle and other accessories, like I say, I don't know anything about it....

Thanks hcjg1:
(03-26-2013, 04:22 PM)mateff Wrote:  ..........But still I like to know, about the wheel chain size the spindle and other accessories, like I say, I don't know anything about it....

Hi Mateff;

You need to post pictures of everything you are referring to, we have guessed at what you are talking about, and I have posted links to some items; but we still are not communicating.
Nigel
(03-26-2013, 06:33 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(03-26-2013, 04:22 PM)mateff Wrote:  ..........But still I like to know, about the wheel chain size the spindle and other accessories, like I say, I don't know anything about it....

Hi Mateff;

You need to post pictures of everything you are referring to, we have guessed at what you are talking about, and I have posted links to some items; but we still are not communicating.

OK....I have a 24" Huffy Granite Mountain Bike with one piece BB and 48-38-28 wheel welded to it, at the back wheel a chain wheel with five gears that make a 15 speed bike...
[attachment=4050]
I added some annotations to your picture.

Your picture does not show a bottom bracket. On a one piece crank the BB ends up a several unconnected pieces; it is not possible to have a sealed BB with a one piece crank as is now common with a three piece crank.

We have suggested what to change to; but we have no knowledge of the "Pedelec Magnetic" and front wheel electric motor - you need to post some pictures of those, especially the Pedelec Magnetic.

[attachment=4051]
Nigel
(03-27-2013, 11:28 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  I added some annotations to your picture.

Your picture does not show a bottom bracket. On a one piece crank the BB ends up a several unconnected pieces; it is not possible to have a sealed BB with a one piece crank as is now common with a three piece crank.

We have suggested what to change to; but we have no knowledge of the "Pedelec Magnetic" and front wheel electric motor - you need to post some pictures of those, especially the Pedelec Magnetic.

Yeah, in the picture don't show the Bottom Bracket (Bearings Cups), bearings and washers isn't anything else...

The pedelec I;m send you a picture. ...The problem I have with this is, that the one piece crank move all his parts except for the BB and the metallic part of the pedelec (wired) have to be stationary, but isn't way to do this on the one piece system, that is why I have to changed for a three pieces one...
If you are thinking that a 3 piece crank works each of the gears independently, then you are not correct. All the gears turn at the same time. If you are thinking this pedelect mounts to the gears, then that does not make sense.

I think we are all confused at this point as to what you are trying to do.
I did a bit of research.....and will provide some guesses.

The black thing with a splined hole in the middle and a ring of five magnets is supposed to be attached to, and rotate with the crankset, possibly in place of one or more chain rings. The silver bracket with the cable coming out is attached rigidly to the bike. in close proximity to the black thing. The bracket contains a Hall Effect sensor which is triggered by the magnets in the black thing.

The details of how to do this should be in the instructions that came with the item in the picture.

The connector end of the cable shown in the picture is plugged into the motor controller box which powers a hub motor in the front or rear wheel to assist the cyclist. The controller box sends power to the motor when the cyclist is pedaling. The stuff in the picture is the sensing system to determine if and how fast the cyclist is pedaling.
Nigel
(03-28-2013, 02:25 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  I did a bit of research.....and will provide some guesses.

The black thing with a splined hole in the middle and a ring of five magnets is supposed to be attached to, and rotate with the crankset, possibly in place of one or more chain rings. The silver bracket with the cable coming out is attached rigidly to the bike. in close proximity to the black thing. The bracket contains a Hall Effect sensor which is triggered by the magnets in the black thing.

The details of how to do this should be in the instructions that came with the item in the picture.

The connector end of the cable shown in the picture is plugged into the motor controller box which powers a hub motor in the front or rear wheel to assist the cyclist. The controller box sends power to the motor when the cyclist is pedaling. The stuff in the picture is the sensing system to determine if and how fast the cyclist is pedaling.

That is correct, now, the one piece of my bike go around and around all the whole thing, that mean isn't place where to attach the RING if you want him to be stationary, (Atte: BBurelli) contrary of the 3 pieces ring, that you have a washer screwed to the BB and become part of the BB (stationary) and between this part and the BB is space to insert the ring, that is my guess....and that is why I'm looking how to convert this 1 piece crank in a 3 pieces one... Or I'm wrong?....
(03-28-2013, 03:16 PM)mateff Wrote:  That is correct, now, the one piece of my bike go around and around all the whole thing, that mean isn't place where to attach the RING if you want him to be stationary, (Atte: BBurelli) contrary of the 3 pieces ring, that you have a washer screwed to the BB and become part of the BB (stationary) and between this part and the BB is space to insert the ring, that is my guess....and that is why I'm looking how to convert this 1 piece crank in a 3 pieces one... Or I'm wrong?....

Unfortunately, no one on this forum has any knowledge of this kind of conversion. There is a forum in the UK:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/
and this one
http://www.gopedelec.eu/cms/
where you will find people knowledgeable about what you are trying to do.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...