Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help identifying Schwinn
Hello all, first time poster. I have a banana seat Schwinn that I'm having trouble locating the model and year of. I have checked many, many Schwinn serial number cross reference sites and have yet to pinpoint what model or year it may be. I was hoping to get some input of my fellow posters
The number stamped on the frame below the pedal crank is as follows: SNACE 05E44849. I have posted pictures as well. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Tony,

At first glance, you might think this bike is a vintage model but there are a couple of tip offs to it being a fairly recent model.

1. The frame tapers. Older frames were all the same diameter.
2. The pedals are not the older style.
3. They never made two different sized tires on the vintage models.

Honestly, I can't even guess when that bike was made. It might even be a bike someone put together to give the appearance of being vintage but there are still too many clues that say otherwise. I had one myself when I was a kid.

Sorry, but I am at a loss for help on that. I hope ya didn't pay much money for it. Smile

Steve
Here's a page from an old 1967 catalog to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Yeah I am thinking that is possibly a 2004 remake with someone who got creative and put the tires from the Schwinn Stingray Chopper (20?? model) on it with fenders. Wish there was more on the sticker with "nani"?

P.S. It looks really sweet though!!!! Big Grin
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(01-23-2012, 12:50 AM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Hi Tony,

At first glance, you might think this bike is a vintage model but there are a couple of tip offs to it being a fairly recent model.

1. The frame tapers. Older frames were all the same diameter.
2. The pedals are not the older style.
3. They never made two different sized tires on the vintage models.

Honestly, I can't even guess when that bike was made. It might even be a bike someone put together to give the appearance of being vintage but there are still too many clues that say otherwise. I had one myself when I was a kid.

Sorry, but I am at a loss for help on that. I hope ya didn't pay much money for it. Smile

Steve
Here's a page from an old 1967 catalog to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Steve

Thanks all appreciate the feedback. Found the bike in DC, backyard of a vacant African ambassadors residence. Figured it was no more than 20 years old. Has a huge rear slick and wide rear frame to accomdate it. Think Ill clean her up and ride!
They did make 2 different sized tires. They were called the Schwinn "Krate"

http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1968.html
But the frame still looks a little bit different than yours with the tapered widths.
Hey people,I'm new.Here is what I'm restoring.
(01-23-2012, 04:36 PM)Tonyc Wrote:  Thanks all appreciate the feedback. Found the bike in DC, backyard of a vacant African ambassadors residence. Figured it was no more than 20 years old. Has a huge rear slick and wide rear frame to accomdate it. Think Ill clean her up and ride!

Hi Tony;

It is less than decade old, offered at Wal-mart and similar stores - not a "real" Schwinn, but on made in China by the company that bought the Schwinn name after the bankruptcy.
(07-31-2013, 08:31 PM)liquid93 Wrote:  Hey people,I'm new.Here is what I'm restoring.

Please start you own thread, and do not hi jack Tonyc's thread.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...