Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My new Schwinn Searcher GSD Complete Build
Well I finally got my first hybrid built. I couldn't really find anything I liked as a complete unit so I made my own. Schwinn alloy frame from Nashbar which I really like. 23". Deore drivetrain. Alex TD20 rims laced to Formula disc hubs with Bontrager H2 Plus commuter style 28mm wide tires. Tektro disc brakes which I really like. The front suspension is a RST Vogue Trekking fork. Air and rebound adjustable with lockout. Choosing all of the components and doing all of the assembly I was able to build a ride the way I wanted it for about the same price as a entry level shop bike. The maiden voyage was last evening. Put about 8 miles on it. What fun. Also the most comfort I have experienced on a bike. Now just need to decide on accessories, rack for rear for running errands, saddle bag for tools and such, lights, and a fitness computer.

It sure was a load of fun building my own bike the way I wanted to. I could not have done it without all of the great information here in the forums as well as the great videos. Now I just hope winter is delayed so I can get in as many rides as possible.
sharp! nice looking bike
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Looks great. I like that color.
Yes that is a sharp looking bike Smile .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Looks great.

So why not ride it in winter? Peter White has studded tires:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

I ride year round here - no big deal - and I rode year round when I lived in Illinois and Minnesota.
Nigel
I do plan on riding in the winter actually. I also have a specialized Hardrock Comp with studded tires that I have ready for the snow. This Searcher though is so much fun with as nimble and quick as it is. I am afraid I would kill myself on this one lol. The Hardrock is much more forgiving with the handling that it will be easier to learn how to ride on slippery conditions.
Yes sir I love riding in the snow too Smile . Like you I have a bike prepped for just such occasion!!! Studded winters are on it still from last winter.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
What sort of maintenance routine do you use for your bike in the winter then? This will be my first winter so I would like to make sure I keep it properly maintained.
Salt and alloy do not mix well, so just make sure it is rinsed off once in awhile and keep it lubed good.I saturate a rag with tri-flow or similar and wipe it on all my chrome , bolts and alloy parts. just keep it of your brake pads and braking surfaces and or rotors
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I see many people use tri-flow products. So far I have been using a finish line product. Is that just as good? If I should switch, which tri-flow products are the recommended ones?
I just get a bottle of Tri Flow from Wal-mart; like Bill, I use a lot of it.
Nigel
Atleast yours carries it nigel lol. I had to order mine online.
Studded tyres: Best. Invention. Ever. (well... maybe surpassed by the rear dérailleur). I only can fit one in the front of my old road bike, but it does help a lot.

Winter maintenance: rinse off bike often, take care to clean the chain often and lubricate it. Pay attention to stuff getting stuck in the brake pads (not uncommon for me, rim brakes and gravel on the icy roads). I use Finish Line (the ceramic particle stuff for riding in wet conditions) chain "oil" in winter. After every winter, expect to swap out the chain, though it does help to buy a decent-ish one. The really cheap ones did not keep up to the harsh conditions for me (had to swap during winter).
(10-19-2012, 10:28 PM)jmeier64 Wrote:  I see many people use tri-flow products. So far I have been using a finish line product. Is that just as good? If I should switch, which tri-flow products are the recommended ones?

You know I am sorry I misread this a while ago and this is the one I get now-a-days.......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tri-Flow-Superior-Bike-Teflon-Lubricant-Squeeze-Drip-Bottle-PTFE-6-oz-177ml-/221145505643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337d4c9f6b

It lasts a very long time! OH yea I usually give it a few shakes before using it to makes sure everything is mixed together. Don't asked something I have always done. lol.
Oh NO! Not a Searcher GSD. Those things were notorious for leaking oil. Just look at that oil spot on the floor in your pic. Probably happened inside of an hour. That's a bigger spill than Harley Davidsons do in a week!

Just ribbing you, jmeier. Wink Glad you had a good time building her! That's what it's half about. The other half is the Ride!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(10-19-2012, 10:28 PM)jmeier64 Wrote:  I see many people use tri-flow products. So far I have been using a finish line product. Is that just as good? If I should switch, which tri-flow products are the recommended ones?

Finish Line products are just as good and unlike Tri-Flow, available in the UK. Smile

I use the Finish Line Cross Country Wet Lube for my chains and it works well. I also use Weldtite Teflon Cycle Grease and a Halfords own brand cycle oil with PTFE that I use for general stuff like lubricating cables, brake pivots etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Bill